Logo

Mystery Wire

Swimbait

I recently purchased a 1996 Javelin, with the original engine, a 1996 Johnson 115 Fast Strike.
It runs good, but I see a yellow striped wire not connected on either end, and I need help figuring out what it is.

It connects to what I think is a battery isolator box (diode with heat sink fins) near the battery, and goes into the motor cowling and splits into two plugs, but does not connect to anything.
I looked around to see if it was supposed to plug in to the stator or something, but I don't see any place it would have plugged in to.
I attached a pic of each end of the mystery wire.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 96_Johnson_115_FastStrike.jpg
    96_Johnson_115_FastStrike.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200824_123024.jpg
    20200824_123024.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
This is not a kill wire. The kill wire is black/yellow.....not yellow/black. I appeal to a more talented member here.

It is a battery isolator ..BRP part number 508362. Allow you to charge a single separate battery

Thanks for the feedback. You appear to be correct. I looked again, and it now seems that it is intended as a way to "tap in" to the output of the rectifier, since in has a male and female plug, to send the feed wire out for charging the trolling motor battery. I was confused as to why the isolator was mounted beside the trolling motor battery instead of the starting battery. It must have been an add-on feature of the boat, but is not required.

I'll test the diode in the isolator, and the rectifier output to see if all is working as it should.

Thanks Pappy. Now that you mention that I have seen a couple before. Also probably be .....wouldn't recover much back into a set of trolling motor batteries, or even a second single battery, unless you were going for a nice hour long cruise.

Last edited:
That splits the 20 amp output and applies 1/2 of stator voltage to isolator battery...so about 3 amps at idle and 10 amps at WOT. Also grounds have to be common between the 2 battery's.

That splits the 20 amp output and applies 1/2 of stator voltage to isolator battery...so about 3 amps at idle and 10 amps at WOT. Also grounds have to be common between the 2 battery's.

Ahh, that last point you made about the grounds being common explains why I also see a single wire running between the starter battery and the trolling motor battery on the other side, but it was not connected either. It must have been used as the common ground between them. It all makes sense now.
Thanks again!

Back