Logo

Mysterious Ignition Fuse Blowing - Help!

Big Sand Lake

Hello, hopefully someone can provide some insight...

I have a 2007 Stingray 18' with a Volvo Penta 3.0L Engine. I bought it new and store it in my garage. It is only run in fresh water (Orlando, FL). The boat has run perfectly since the day I bought it, however a few days ago the ignition fuse under the instrument panel blew (15A). The next day I got a bunch of fuses to try to trouble shoot. The boat would run fine however the fuse would blow when I decelarateed from a high speed really quickly. On that day that was the only time it would blow. It is important to note that it would NOT blow if I was out of gear - ONLY when it was in gear. I was guessing the alternator, however it seems like it wouldn't care if I was in gear or not.

The next day I was messing with it in the driveway and it would blow the fuse immediately when I turned the key! Not sure why things had changed. I swapped ignition relays next to the engine and that seemed to get it to start again, however when I swithed it back with the original it also started - not sure what could have possibly changed.

Today I got it on the water, and it blew when I put it in gear, so I swapped the relay again with a spare and it ran perfectly. The fuse did not blow and I drove it every way I could (fast, slow, reverse, over big wakes, hard turns, etc). I couldn't get it to blow. So I swapped the original relay back in and it performed perfectly again - I could not get it to blow no matter what I did.

So now I don't know what to do. It seems to work fine, however I know there is still a problem lurking, and I would hate to be 5 miles from the boat ramp and have it go again. I can always carry extra fuses, however I'm worried it could be like the time in the driveway where it blew immediately.

Any thoughts? I would guess a loose wire somewhere however eveything looks in perfect condition and I drove it like crazy over the wakes today without any problems except for when I first put it in gear (I had let the enginer run in idle for about 5 minutes before so it wasn't cold). There is no visible corrosion on any of the connectors, the boat is stored in my garage and is only run on fresh water, so it's in nearly perfect condition. I would hate to bring it to a mechanic if it won't blow again, and they can't replicate/troubleshoot the problem. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

A wiring schematic for this app would help. Maybe someone can confirm whether any wiring in the remote (shift/throttle) control, ie neutral safety circuit would apply in this case. It could be shorting intermitently when going in and out of gear.

Bad things seem to happen when you move the throttle lever, don't they? In that case, I would start by examining the neutral switch and its connections.

This may be a shot in the dark, but you have to start somewhere.

Back