Logo

My technician recommends new 115hp with iST

jetlee2028

My current one is 1997 Honda 90HP 4-stroke. It has been unreliable, although I think the problem might be in the control side. Right now it doesn't start to crank. I believe it is fixable.

But I am a bit tired with all sorts of unreliability issues that this engine has. It is always something wrong although it is all solved(with service cost). Should I replace with a new one? I was told the old carbureted one is much harder than the fuel injected one which is turn-key to start. My technician also suggested upgrading even further to 115hp with iST. He said the signal will be transmitted digitally to the motor so it is much more reliable, but it is also more heavier, from 358lb to 487lb. My boat is 1997 17-foot boston whaler. Would it be too heavy? Thank you very much for your advice!

What year is the 115? I have a 1999 130 on the Outrage 18 and had a 17 Montauk like yours with a 1998 Merc 90 hp 2 stroke , a lighter outboard than the Honda 4 stroke 90. If the 115 is similar age to my 130, they are the same weight. I’d say the 468 lbs is too heavy for the Montauk 17. I wouldn’t go any heavier than what you have now.

If you have to run to the repair shop for every little issue with your motor , the labor costs are a killer.-----Best to find another motor.-------Be cheaper in the long run.

What year is the 115? I have a 1999 130 on the Outrage 18 and had a 17 Montauk like yours with a 1998 Merc 90 hp 2 stroke , a lighter outboard than the Honda 4 stroke 90. If the 115 is similar age to my 130, they are the same weight. I’d say the 468 lbs is too heavy for the Montauk 17. I wouldn’t go any heavier than what you have now.
I think he meant brand new 115. Yes, I have the same worry for the weight. But the plate on the boat says the maximum hp is 130, and the total allowed weight including motor, people & gear is 1655lb. See attached. What do you think about 468lb now? Thanks!

IMG_0016.jpg

I said montauk, you have a Dauntless, a very different boat. The Montauk dry weight is 900 lbs, yours is a deep v hull and dry weight is 1500lbs. Minimum hp on the Dauntless is 90 Hp, max is 130. How much weight your engine should be for your use depends on the way you use it, how much fuel and other things you haul and where you go.

My Outrage 18 is rated for a max of 150hp and has a dry weight of 1250. I wouldn’t want to go with any heavier engine than I have now or any hp less than I have now.

As far as how much engine weight is practical to have on a 1997 Dauntless, I’d suggest you ask this question on Continuous Wave, you’ll find more practical experience with engine weight suggested for a 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless there from ownership experience as opposed to what the regulations say.

Here is a good place to ask about Honda engines.

Back