Logo

My shift cable also has problems

holinwtr

Regular Contributor
Ive got a 1976 inline 6 with #1 drive (serial 4629462). It goes in and out of forward fine. goes into reverse fine. Coming out of reverse is hard and usually jumps right into forward from reverse. The bracket is right behind the engine and is going to be hard to get to. What do yall think? Do I need an adjustment or a new cable?

There is a micro switch with a roller tip on it on the shift bracket where the two shift cables are attached. That switch is supose to kill the ignition for a split second when shifting OUT of ( forward or reverse) gear, ONLY not when shifting into gear.

If the V notch is not activating the switch or the switch is bad then that is your issue.

If the switch is not being activated you can bend the arm of the switch a small amount to cause the V notch to activate it but not to much.

To check to see if the switch is working, start engine and push the roller/arm in to make the switch and the engine should stall. If it does not you need a new switch or the wiring is broken or wrong.

Kghost, thanks for you help. I looked close at my shift interupt switch and realized the wires weren't even connected. The prong that the brown wire is supposed to go on was broken off too. I tested it with an ohmeter and it rang out fine. There was just enough prong still sticking out of the switch that I could solder the wire back on. Got everything hooked up correctly and the switch is working now. I activated it with my finger and it killed the motor. I'll find out tomorrow if it works out on the lake. There's not enough force on the prop to test it on land. Thanks again for your advice and readily giving it. You and the other guys have saved me a lot of money and time.

The switch is working perfectly. So much easier to get out of gear. Learn something new everyday on this site. Thanks again Kghost.

Back