Logo

MSTS explained

Ply

Contributing Member
Hi All!!! Question... aside from ignition, on the 454XL motors, what is managed within those MSTS boxes house on top of the motors?? I've replaced my ignition with Pertronix.. but I often wonder what ELSE is controlled within those little mystery boxes??

Just the timing....they were the prototype the MEFI-1 systems were developed from (though I've never seen that in any GM documents). They are rather complete in what they sample.

Yeah I'm carb'd, and frankly love it...

Just the timing....they were the prototype the MEFI-1 systems were developed from (though I've never seen that in any GM documents). They are rather complete in what they sample.

Sort of sets my mind at ease as I'm a XXL jumbo and I'm in the middle of doing my impellers, which requires me laying atop/across/around entire top of motor and I always worry about those darn little boxes and the wiring inside....

I know not everyone is a fan of Pertronix (Hall Effect), especially in salt environment but thus far I have no problem recommending it as again SIMPLE... I will tell you this, Cap AND Rotor are absolutely essential replacements EVERY year on my system as the "green mountains" that build up are amazing and she will cough a bit if you neglect new CAPS ANNUALLY....

Sounds like in my case, Mark, I've bypassed it all but in back of my mind somewhere I wonder what fully disconnecting that unit would do??

Things that make you say hmmmmmm....hahhaha

I know of a few that have disconnected the box and haven't heard of any issues.

The big thing you trade is going to a fixed timing curve ('hard coded' inside of the EST module) vs having a dynamic (and optimal) timing value based on the operating conditions determined by the MSTS computer. For most marine applications, the load on the engine is significant and fairly constant so I don't think there is a lot of 'economy' being given up...especially with a carb that has a fixed fuel delivery profile...

Back