Logo

motor swap

tldram

i have a 82 renken with a omc 2.5 chev 120. motor and 400 out drive. the motor is bad. have a chance to get a 89, 2.3 ford motor and out drive. was wondering if it drop in with out too much hasle.

nope won't work. You need a 3.0 and you won't have to touch the drive. any 3.0 before 90' doesn't matter the make, and you can use your mani off the omc the merc one won't match up to the tube.

perfect thats what i changed out my 2.5 for. Just change over the mani you got on the 2.5 and the coupler. flywheel won't work form the 3.0 merc on the bell housing.

So take the omc mani and the coupler and flywheel and the bolts from the omc don't try to use the bolts from the flywheel from the merc.

Take the mani and riser in one piece from the omc. Carb still good on the omc leave it also, cause then it will be easy to hook up your carb.

Remember the blocks are the same except for the one pulley, and that won't hinder anything.

Last edited:
I wondered the same thing the 140 i have in my boat right now is a merc motor. Came out of a 87' boat. My boat is a 86' had a 2.5.

My friend has a 93' 130 hp 3.0 .

What i do know is they used to take the hp from the flywheel, now they take it from the prop.

So Kurt your probably right, it's a game they played so one co. can claim they have more hp then the other co.

Back