Logo

Motor not trimming

I have a '98 Yamaha 125hp. The motor is not trimming up or down, but I head the pump trying when I try both ways.

I've tried topping off the fluid and working out the air, but no luck. Here is where I am at the moment:

1) When the motor is "down" it is not resting on the rams, it is hovering above them.
2) When I attempt to trim the motor down from this position I hear the pump trying, but nothing happens
3) When I attempt to trim the motor up from this position I hear the pump trying, but nothing happens
4) If I attempt to manually lift the motor up it goes most of the way, but before it gets high enough for me to engage the safety locks it refuses to go further (even if my wife attempts to trim it up while I manually lift it)
5) If I drop the motor from its highest position it lowers back down it where it hovers above the rams but does not make contact.
6) If I open the release valve I can manually lift the motor all the way up and engage the safety locks
7) If I open the fluid cap while the motor is up and resting on the safety locks, fluid pours out and has a lot of small bubbles in it

I have been repeating this process for a while thinking that I am slowly getting air out of the fluid since I am losing fluid each time I remove the cap I am not sure that I am actually making progress. I've wiped all the seals dry looking for a leak but I do not see any fluid leaking from anywhere.

Any thoughts? I was considering putting soapy water on the seals to see if air is getting in or out. I also considered that the pump may need to be replaced, but I'm not sure how to test this. I am also wondering if something needs to be greased.

Help! :)

Edit: I just tried putting soapy water around all of the seals the the release screw, I could not find any leaks while attempting to trim the motor.

Last edited:
You’ll often see signs when one or more PTT seals are failing.....the trim fails to respond to switch, the motor will slowly lower from a trim up position, oil on water surrounding your motor when submerged, etc. Did you notice any of these?

From what you’ve described it’s also possible the motor is shot. Hearing the motor when powered on doesn’t imply all mechanical aspects of the motor are functioning properly.

Back