Logo

Motor idles will not run mid or WOT

OMCfanatic

I have a 1988 Bayliner Capri with the 2.3L Ford I just rebuilt the carb, set the float per instructions, replaced EVERYTHING I had parts for cleaned all the passages and tubes. I had to set the air mixture screws about 4 1/2 turns out to get it to idle, open the throttle at all and it falls flat on its face. I am running gas from remote tank, checked the separator and didn't get any water out of it.And of course the previous owner or a previous-previous owner removed the filter/screen from the carb. i am going to go get a new separator and filters for the carb and a canister filter for line today, was wondering if other than those anyone had an idea what is up with it?

Thanx,
Jason

before carb rebuild (before winter) it would not idle, but would run at 2800+ rpm smooth. was leaking a lot of air. I had pulled outdrive off before winter to do bellows but didnt get it done til this spring so I rebuilt the carb at same time as doing bellows. I will do a compression check this weekend, and let you know the outcome.

might want to test run it with the ESA unplugged in case the shift cable adjustment is the culprit

4 and 1/2 turns not the correct method gently turn the screw back in till it gently bottoms out and turn out 1 and 1/2 turns to start final adjustment on the water.

Did you see where i wrote gently twice do not bent the tips.

It will not run at 1 1/2 turns thats why i had them cranked out so far, I had even tried turning them back in and it just stalls with or without throttle. I picked up a new separator and some new plugs, I am going to check the points to make sure they are rust free. I am going to try and get out there today after my classwork is done and before work.

Compression check: cyl 1 135 cyl 2-4 145 YAY! readjusted the float, changed fuel filter/separator changed plugs gapped at .035 instead of the .050 I was told last year adjusted carb to 1 1/2 turns out, runs in all throttle positions, needs to be adjusted idle still a bit low. I will work on that here in a few minutes. Just wanted to give you an update. Oh and I sprayed carb cleaner around carb and intake no leaks!! :D

Got it in the water yesterday, no leaks, YAY. Only bad part is I couldnt build RPMs past 2500 then it stopped pumping gas and my positive battery terminal broke off LOL what a day not to mention the sunburn on the top of my head. So today I get to check to make sure there is nothing blocking pickup tube, check fuel pump (with remote tank) and replace battery.

If the plugs were set wrong it might be worth checking the points and timing as well.

points gap/dwell .018 34-38 deg
plug gap .035
timing 10 BTDC
WOT RPM 5200-5600
idle speed 600-650 (in gear)

Yeah, I checked the points yesterday they were already at .018 but had a little corrosion so I cleaned them. Plugs are at .035 I replaced with new yesterday also. I will check timing once I get the fuel delivery problem addressed thank you very much for the info. Like I said on muffs it was great in the water it was sluggish, but it may have to do with not getting enough fuel. I will post update as soon as I find something out. Thank you all again for the info, you guys have been alot more helpful that that "other" forum I used to belong to.

Alright, the check ball in the pickup tube was coming forward blocking the hole then i broke the fitting off a lot of cussing later I have a new pickup tube in, and boat runs great. Was running about 47-4800 RPM WOT (on small lake will run i on the river soon and find out for sure what i pull at WOT) speedo doesn't work so i am unsure of speed. Will install GPS module on phone soon and find out, but it was planing well. thank you to everyone, I hope this thread helps someone else in the future :)

Last edited:
Ok 4800 rpm WOT got speedo workin it read 40 not sure how accurate that is. Got to adjust the choke, and the shift cable needs adjusted or linkage is off messed up. LOL gotta love boats. :)

Back