Logo

Most important spares - BF225AK1/2

Artcha

Hi,
I’ve got twin 225s, one is an ak1 and one an ak2 with similar hours. I’m planning on some longer trips next year and also use the boat for commuting so being able to fix things quickly is important. What spares would you recommend I have on the boat. So far I’ve ordered an ho2 sensor and a thermostat. Are there other components that are likely to go bad (and don’t require an out of the water service?). The engines are serviced yearly so this would be in addition to that.
Any advice appreciated.

Hi Artcha
Good idea to plan ahead!

No long distance traveler here so I'm just riffing. Here's a couple of thoughts:

I'm thinking some spark plugs and some fuses would be on my list and possibly even a spare prop if funding allows. Although, you may have a counter rotating one in that set up.
A spare thrust washer, castle nut and cotter pin is in my spares kit but I only have a 20hp Honda.

Also, a bit of fuel hose, barb fittings and clamps to do a patch job in the event of a surprise leak will often get you by without a rescue.

Along that same vein....
A bit of electrical wire and some butt splices.

Bailing wire...(engine covers sink when latches fail.:>/)

Running light bulbs?

A spare key comes to mind.

Like I said, just riffing.

I bet chawk_man will have some good input for you on this.

Good luck

Hi Artcha
Good idea to plan ahead!

No long distance traveler here so I'm just riffing. Here's a couple of thoughts:

I'm thinking some spark plugs and some fuses would be on my list and possibly even a spare prop if funding allows. Although, you may have a counter rotating one in that set up.
A spare thrust washer, castle nut and cotter pin is in my spares kit but I only have a 20hp Honda.

Also, a bit of fuel hose, barb fittings and clamps to do a patch job in the event of a surprise leak will often get you by without a rescue.

Along that same vein....
A bit of electrical wire and some butt splices.

Bailing wire...(engine covers sink when latches fail.:>/)

Running light bulbs?

A spare key comes to mind.

Like I said, just riffing.

I bet chawk_man will have some good input for you on this.

Good luck
Good list, I’ve got most of those, especially basic mcgyver tools, the props I figure are overkill as I’d need to carry two. Fuses, spark plugs and tools/multimeter all onboard as well, also have extra steering fluid.

Thanks all, From a tools and safety perspective I’m well set including radios, epirb, ditch bag and a full tool bag. Specifically I’m curious about frequent failure components on the 225 such as the o2 sensor. Are there any other known issues, I know the o2 is really sensitive to water in the exhaust. Map sensor?
The water pump is a good call out but changing impellers in the water would be super difficult. I know the trim motors go out and I’ve swapped one in the water but I also don’t consider that a stopping issue, can just run with it trimmed down.

Back