Logo

Mid 90s 25 hp evinrude surging

Karl1964

I have a mid 90s 25 hp evinrude that surges at mid to high throttle. It starts fine idles great but if I go past half throttle it dies down and stalls. If I put my hand over the throat of the carb it will run faster but still won't hit full throttle. I've been through the carburator several times and can't find anything there. I've changed the fuel lines from tank to carb. I've changed the fuel pump. And finally changed the powerpack. Nothing seems to help. I'm wondering if there could be a vacuum leak somewhere that is causeing it not to draw fuel through the carb. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This may not help at all, but it did for me. Had the same problem, went to dealer that sold it to me. He said I had a bent prop. Couldn't see it bent much. He said he would put one on and if that didn't fix it, I didn't have to pay. Guess what , I bought a prop. The overrev protection was kicking in.

Test run with another fuel tank.-----Putting your hand over the carburetor should stop / slow the motor down.----That indicates to me that there is a carburetor issue.-----Way in the bottom of the float bowl is the high speed jet.----Did you have it out for cleaning and what is the number on it?

Test run with another fuel tank.-----Putting your hand over the carburetor should stop / slow the motor down.----That indicates to me that there is a carburetor issue.-----Way in the bottom of the float bowl is the high speed jet.----Did you have it out for cleaning and what is the number on it?

I know about the jet but haven't been able to remove it. Someone Gas been into the carb before and buttered up the slot shop the jet can't be removed. I have pushed a thin wire through and get carb cleaner to pass through. No idea on the number.

Test run with another fuel tank.-----It appears to me to be a fuel issue.----Smooth surging points to a fuel issue.----But I can not see , hear or feel your motor.----Some simple trouble shooting must be done.

Sorry forgot to mention on the last post about the fuel tank. I've run it on 3 different tanks. Same problem. What other troubleshooting can I to? That was one reason for posting, to get advice on what else I can check.

Post results of a compression test.-----Is the motor overheating ??----Have you replaced water pump impeller ?

I haven't replaced the water pump but have a strong stream coming out of the tell tale hose. It isn't overheating. I'll have to check compression.

Back