Logo

mid 60s evinrude fastwin 18hp

bcadwell13

Hi my name is Brandon, I have a mid 60s evinrude fastwin 18 and have had it for a couple weeks. when I got it it ran perfect, started first pull and everything. but all of a sudden now it still fires up first pull but spits sputters and puts out alot of oily greasy residue on the top of the water in the bucket i run it in at the house. when driving down the lake it will be fine then spit sputter and lose power then it will backfire and give me a burst of power then right back to sputtering. I replaced the plugs mix the gas 40:1 just to be safe cleaned the carb, and it does seem to be sucking enough gas into the engine. Now I dont know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

The most common cause would be a weak ignition system causing it to run on one cylinder...check compression and check spark...if you can get it running for a few minutes, shut it down and use your hand to feel the temperature of each cylinder head...if one is hotter than the other, you are running on one cylinder.

Check your ignition maximum output-------------It should be able to jump a gap of 1/4" or better------------If it does not do that then you have ignition problems and motor just will not start easy and run properly.

Ok i will check the ignition output... if i can figure out how. I had to put a helicoil in and recently found i did not have a good seal on one of my sparkplugs. I had to add sealling agent to the helicoil to make sure the seal was good. i have not had a chance to run it since. I have been giving as long as possible to comepletely cure. I have never had a problem starting it but it and it only stalls out when ran at low RPM but i will take your advice and check the cylinders and ignition output Thanks guys.

Back