Logo

Mercury75hp choke issues

Hi guys I've got this mercury 75hp 2 stroke it hasn't started in a few years but I've finally got it turning over but not starting when I push the key in for choke im not getting any clicks but did hear like a fuse blowing or something or it could have been something else im a novice here haha but learning is there a way to use a manual choke the enricher device has a button is that choke any help would be fantastic its 1994 mercury 75hp 3 cylinder.

The fuel enrichment solenoid is above the carbs and is powered by the yellow/black striped wire, getting power when the key is turned to On or Start and pushed in. If you put your ear next to it you should be able to hear it click when activated.

There is a 20 amp fuse in a rubber case located near the starting solenoid input 3/8" brass stud used as a 12v power distribution point. It uses the red wire, both sides, and the output goes to the 8 pin remote connector sending power to the control box to operate the starter and fuel enrichment to name a couple of things. I would say that if your starter was operating the fuse isn't blown.

My wiring diagram for the '94 engine shows a terminal block where that wire and black ground wire (power and return to the valve) are connected. The black goes nowhere else telling me that the ground for the valve is the mounting screw for that block. You could have a corrosion problem whereby the ground is not making contact. Remove the screw and check for corrosion, clean, and reinstall...see if that fixes it. Might as well clean up the yellow/black stripe while you are at it.

You should have a tight fuel primer bulb before trying to start the engine and as you attempt starts, keep the bulb full. If your problem is fuel, the plugs should be dry. If wet, it's an ignition problem.

The fuel enrichment solenoid is above the carbs and is powered by the yellow/black striped wire, getting power when the key is turned to On or Start and pushed in. If you put your ear next to it you should be able to hear it click when activated.

There is a 20 amp fuse in a rubber case located near the starting solenoid input 3/8" brass stud used as a 12v power distribution point. It uses the red wire, both sides, and the output goes to the 8 pin remote connector sending power to the control box to operate the starter and fuel enrichment to name a couple of things. I would say that if your starter was operating the fuse isn't blown.

My wiring diagram for the '94 engine shows a terminal block where that wire and black ground wire (power and return to the valve) are connected. The black goes nowhere else telling me that the ground for the valve is the mounting screw for that block. You could have a corrosion problem whereby the ground is not making contact. Remove the screw and check for corrosion, clean, and reinstall...see if that fixes it. Might as well clean up the yellow/black stripe while you are at it.

You should have a tight fuel primer bulb before trying to start the engine and as you attempt starts, keep the bulb full. If your problem is fuel, the plugs should be dry. If wet, it's an ignition problem.
Thank you for your help where is the mounting screw sorry and the yellow/black wire is that from the wiring harness or the enrichment valve hopefully I can get to it tomorrow thanks again

If your engine is wired as the service manual wiring diagram depicts, follow the two wires connected to the valve, black and yellow/black. They will lead you to it.

Back