Logo

Mercury XRi 150 2.5L - Mouse

crkranz

I bought a boat with a mid 90s 150 XRi EFI 2.5L on it inhopes of being able to use it on another boat I have. Its bee sitting but supposedly ran the last time he used it acouple of years ago. Anyway I get ithome and pull the plugs and grass falls out of the top left cylinder. A mouse apparently made a nest up in there.

I complete newb with outboard mechanics (but have rebuilt an auto engine) so is there any hope in salvaging this and where should I start?

Remove the cylinderhead for inspection.----------Mouse pee is very corrosive and if the critter got into the crankcase it can get expensive in a hurry.

Cleaned it up and was left with some pitting. Doesn't seem too bad, but I'm not sure what is acceptable and what is fixable.

Last edited:
Start the motor.-----Hopefully they stayed out of the inside of the crankcase.--Should run OK with that little bit of pitting.

It will run but not for long as pitting to severe.... better to bore it .015 over and freshen the whole thing up. I would inspect every cylinder since mice was comming up exhaust. Ifyour going to try and run it put a new head gasket on!!!

Would honing do anything? What risk is there by just running it as is and rebuilding it later if/when needed? I have a new head gasket coming, so I will replace it. Can you reuse a gasket more than once (if I end up disassembling again)?

Last edited:
Back