Logo

Mercury trim switch problem

cocomo

I have a 1998 mercury 150 o/b 2 cycle....serial #0g692755.
I'm having trouble with the up and down switch at the controls. The motor goes down evertime i push the down button, but the up part will work some days and then stop working. The control switch at the motor works every time thats ok. Could it be at the controls or the relay/solenoid.

Check the fluid level, it may be low. There should be a matched pair of relays on the side of the engine for the trim up/down. Swap them...if the problem changes to the down side replace both relays.

Hi guyjg,
i did what you suggested on the trim switch and fluid level, that did not work. Question....the manuel i have shows that there is two trim solenoids ( up & down ) on the harness line by the motor, do does go bad. It also shows how to remove the trim switch from the handle, will it be safe in doing that so i can see if the trim switch is ok.

Hi guyjg,
i did what you suggested on the trim switch and fluid level,that did not work. Question ... The manuel i have shows that there is two trim solenoids ( up & down ) on the harness line by the motor, do does go bad? It aslo shows how to remove the trim switch from the handle. Will i be safe in doing that so i can see if the trim switch is ok?

Last edited:
...two trim solenoids ( up & down ) on the harness line by the motor, do does go bad?
I called thrm relays...did you switch them? They do wear out. Always replace as a pair. If you already switched them and it did not change then it's time to open up the handle assy. and look at the wiring. You may find a wire about to fall off. If no wires are loose then test the toggle switch...they go bad. Remember there is 12 volts in the handle all the time unless the battery is disconnected. I forgot...if your engine has a remote toggle up/down on it and it works up/down all the time then the solenoids are good. The problem will be in the handle...loose wire or worn switch. Check the up wire in the handle. You may find a plastic sleeve inside the shift handle w/wires on both ends. Open it up to see if a wire is broken there.

I removed the toggle switch from the handle and disconnected the three wires. What i did to see if the problem was the toggle, i hot wired the red(hot) to first the green then the blue and the trim worked both up and down, i'm sure that's it.
I thank you for your help.

In every life a little rain must fall.

I removed the toggle switch from the handle and disconnected the three wires. What i did to see if the problem was the toggle, i hot wired the red(hot) to first the green then the blue and the trim worked both up and down, i'm sure that's it.
I thank you for your help.

In every life a little rain must fall.
Can you tell me how to remove the throttle handle and trim switch? i am having the same problem. trim works at the motor switch but not at the throttle switch. Thanks

Back