Logo

Mercury timing

treker

Question about timing a Merc, I have a 2000 50hp Mercury 2 stroke that needs to be re-timed. I have a Seloc manual the describes using a dial indicator when the #1 clynder is at TDC and then set back to .459, and then adjusting the timing pointer to the proper position. Well the timing pointer on my engine doesn't adjust it is in a cutout on the cover of a flywheel cover. Now the Mercury service manual for my engine describes a different way to time it with no mention of the use of a dial indicator:

Timing​
CAUTION​
Engine may be timed while cranking engine with
starter motor. To prevent engine from starting
when being cranked, all spark plugs must be removed.​
1. Insert Spark Gap Tool (91-63998A1) into each
spark plug boot and attach alligator clips to good
engine ground.
2. Disconnect remote fuel line from engine.
3. Connect remote control electric harness to engine
wiring harness.
4. Remove throttle cable barrel from barrel retainer.​
Idle Timing Adjustment​
5. Connect timing light to No. 1 (TOP) spark plug
lead.​
WARNING​
While cranking engine, keep clear of propeller as
it may rotate.​
6. Shift engine to neutral.​
IMPORTANT: To time engine at cranking speed, a
fully charged battery must be used.​
7. Hold throttle arm at idle position as shown below,
crank engine with starter motor and adjust idle
timing screw to align T.D.C. timing mark of flywheel
with timing pointer. Tighten locknut.​
NOTE:​
Timing will be T.D.C. ± 2° after adjusting idle
RPM.

Has anyone timed an engine like mine not using a dial indicator Thanks

Timing on that motor is fixed at the factory ------------------Why do you think it needs to be adjusted ????????

The locknut on the idle timing screw was not locked down and it appears the screw is not in it original position as the engine has a miss when started and in the idle position. I just want to verify that the timing is correct, I am pretty sure that it is off

Jeff: had some friends that live in New Tripoli years back

Well got it timed on Sunday, runs great, better than it did, still has an occasional pop/miss, but when I had the carbs apart the needle on the number 3 carb while it look fine, had what appeared to be a black ring on it about half way down from the tip(where it appears to seat) so I am going to order kits and since I am going to do #3 figure I will just do the the other 2 at the same time

I have a 1999 mercury 25 hp 2 stroke outboard "electric start",and Im having trouble getting the timing set where its supposed to be at,because i had to change out one of the plastic ends on the rod for the timing,and now it wont start. So i need to know how many degrees (+ or -) do i set it to be as close to factory timing,like what are the factory timing specs???if anyone could help me out with this ill be very greatful...thanks...

Back