Logo

Mercury Optimax 150 HP 4 beep alarm problems

wheely

We have a Mercury Optimax 150 HP (2007) which has the 4 beeps going off. It has been in the shop almost all summer. They checked the engine for codes, disassembled the lower unit and checked the impeller, moved and reinstalled the oil tank on the engine and bled the system. They said that they found a low voltage on the battery so they installed a new battery, removed all positive and ground wires. Cleaned the wire ends and terminals. Tested for higher voltage and where there was a 1 volt drop previously, there was now only a 0.5 volt drop. They said that they took it for a sea trial and that it ran great...We took it out today and ran it for 30 to 40 minutes and the 4 alarm beep started going off every 2 minutes again. More than $1000.00 later, anyone have any ideas??!! They also ruled out water in the fuel or a low oil level. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post your question on the Mercury forum on this side. Go to the top of this page, click on "Forum Home" then click on Mercury Outboards.

We have a Mercury Optimax 150 HP (2007) which has the 4 beeps going off. It has been in the shop almost all summer. They checked the engine for codes, disassembled the lower unit and checked the impeller, moved and reinstalled the oil tank on the engine and bled the system. They said that they found a low voltage on the battery so they installed a new battery, removed all positive and ground wires. Cleaned the wire ends and terminals. Tested for higher voltage and where there was a 1 volt drop previously, there was now only a 0.5 volt drop. They said that they took it for a sea trial and that it ran great...We took it out today and ran it for 30 to 40 minutes and the 4 alarm beep started going off every 2 minutes again. More than $1000.00 later, anyone have any ideas??!! They also ruled out water in the fuel or a low oil level. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to reply to this post because this was the initial post I read when experiencing the exact same problem with the exact same engine. I performed the test to purge any air from the engine mounted reserve tank, so I had good oil flow at that point. I took out the oil sensor on top of the oil reserve tank and found it to be dry, even though the tank was full. This lead me to believe a valve inside the tank must be stuck that goes to the sensor. I unplugged the two wires from the oil sensor and jumpered across the other two wires, which bypassed the oil sensor. I started the engine and everything ran normal once again. The Guardian system that prevents damage to the engine by governing down the RPM's went back to normal RPM's, and no alarm sounded. I will now replace the tank, since the problem resides in the tank and replace the sensor as well, if the tank does not come with a new sensor already. I am only a novice at engine repair, but I am convinced this fixed my problem. I hope this helps others.

Back