Logo

Mercury Hook up 100hp Optimax and 9.9 Pro Kicker - helping with external boxes and gauges

HiZ

Okay, so what I have is:
a set of new control boxes
a set of Faria gauges - fuel, temp, tach, speed
new cables

and rigging from one boat to another helping a buddy of mine that is kind of not mechanical

I'm not sure how I get roped into this but I am

So, the directions for the control boxes are bad!

What am I doing here and what are the wires to the gauges
I have blue, green, gr/wh, etc

Any help would be good.
I have the cables routed as of tonight and read the instructions, but they suck!

Help......

You could have a rat's nest there. The Optimax is NOT wired to run on normal gauges from factory (assume you are talking about the Faria gauges) - they are set to run on a Smartcraft gauge so you need a (box) converter to run the analog gauges - make sure that it's present before you try splicing wires (if this previously fed (normal) analog gauges you should be fine.

IF the controls are Merc they should have a diagram. If they are aftermarket (or came out of the back of "this guys" van) then who knows what you have.

In general, at the control itself IF (IF) it is equipped with the trim/tilt switch you should have a mini harness (from the motor - usually piggy backs with the main harness).

You should have a red wire - goes to the red connector on the control

Light blue/white goes to the blue connector on the control and

The green/white goes to the green connector on the control.

As to the dash gauges, here's a diagram that shows what goes where from the main harness...

It may not be completely applicable to your case since it assumes that you will be using one of Merc's "multi-function" gauges and not separate gauges for the temp, oil warning etc.

Again, if the Faria gauges were not bought out of the back of some guys van they should have installation notes that include "what colour" wire each gauge is looking for depending on mfg of the outboard...

Attachments

• Opti dash wiring.jpg
    Opti dash wiring.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 78,527
All of this stuff is NEW
OEM controls, cables, Gauges.

Thank you for the diagram - I have a control box for the Pro kicker 4 strk and Box for the main engine
Each has a specific wiring harness to the engine
Each has a wiring harness to the dash that comes from the box, that is what I did not see a wiring label or diagram for

Are the cables that easy to install. Shift and throttle?
Just hook them and adjust as necessary to the box for R-N-F

Yep, if it's a Merc control they only mount one way. If it's "multi-species" type of control there will be different cable anchor points - and they are usually stamped (right in the metal) as to what mfg goes where - Merc/Yamaha same spot, OMC/Evinrude/Suzki, a slightly different spot.

Once connected at the control end, the "motor" ends are connected and adjusted for proper shifting.

Yeah, all OEM Mercury stuff!
Shouldn't be too bad, going to brave the heat
I will let you know details - thanks guys

Okay this is what I have, cables all installed and boxes assembled
Next is the wiring system, here are the ends

IMG_20130716_152703_293.jpg

That does help as I have it printed off and am working with it, However my temp and tach signal wires (temp=tan/grey=tach) are in the harness at the plug for the smart craft- we will not be using smart craft and have analog gauges all around. Can I pull those wires and use them. I want to know prior to pulling them from the plug in and having issues when that does not work.

So, my question is - if I use these wires will they supply the signal to the analog gauges?

So, I have spoken directly with Mercury and found that there is an option in the Smartcraft system to send a digital or analog pulse through the grey wire to the helm
This can be switched from a diag / Merc system.

Back