Logo

Mercury 90HP 4-stroke intermittent low voltage alarm followed by rough running and then it dies

codwx

Hello all. Thank you in advance for any and all help you can give me, and if that help is no more than pointing me to the right place (because this is a well-known and resolved problem), then I'm all ears.

I have a 2006 Bentley 24-foot pontoon with a Mercury 90HP 4-stroke outboard engine. In May of this year, after months of inactivity, my wife and I took the boat out. It started right up and sounded just fine. While pushing out of the dock, the low voltage (4 short beeps every 2 minutes) alarm began sounding. It continued to do so at least 3 or 4 more times. At the time, I did not know what the alarm meant, and I got as far as the mouth of my cove before the intelligent side of my brain kicked in and I headed back to the dock. By then, the engine was running very roughly and in fact it quit just prior to getting into the slip.

While the engine was still running, I did note that the onboard voltmeter read 14 volts +/- .2. When I did a static test of the battery it showed 12.5 volts. I did not, nor have I since then, experienced a slow, draggy starter when turning the key, so I don't believe that the battery is the problem.

Last weekend (about 3 weeks after the first incident), I did some minor troubleshooting (looked at the fusible link between the battery and alternator, saw no signs of problems), and in the process of doing so, started the engine up. It ran fine and gave no indications of trouble. I added about 10 gallons of fresh gas (my thinking - maybe a bad gas problem with a very weird problem annunciation?) and took it out for a spin. It ran great, at a variety of RPMs and under a variety of conditions, for about 20 minutes, with 14 +/- volts showing on the voltmeter. Then the low voltage alarm began beeping and the motor began running roughly. Still showed 14 +/- volts on the voltmeter. Changing the throttle input/RPM did not seem to make any difference to the way it was running, and it finally quit. I waited a few seconds, turned it over and it ran fine. I then proceeded directly back to the dock, and the engine ran fine the whole way back.

So, there's my story. Now, my confidence in the boat is somewhat shot, and I have family coming in tomorrow who I know are going to want to go play on the lake.

Any ideas on what I should look at first? Is it possible that bad gas, or water in the gas, could cause symptons like I'm describing?

codwx (it's pronounced cod-wicks)

Well it's now Sunday, 6-22-14, and I've run the pontoon both days this weekend without a hitch. I did notice yesterday that the remnants of a mud dauber (sp?) nest were visible where the throttle lever comes out of the throttle housing. I took the housing apart this morning and found five more such nests, which I removed. My latest theory is that the nest that was in pieces somehow was shorting out the throttle sensor wire that is wrapped around the throttle lever axis. Knock on my wooden head, I think (hope?) that the problem is solved.
codwx

No joy.

It's Saturday, 7-5-14, and my son is at the lake with the subject pontoon. It died yesterday evening, with the same m.o., and he ended up having to be towed back in to the dock. Today, he went and purchased a new battery, installed it and took it back out. Same problem after 30 minutes or so of use. This time, he shut it down, started it back up one minute later and had full power and no further problems in to the dock.

I'm thinking that either the voltage regulator or alternator is going out on me. Does anyone have any advice for how to troubleshoot between the two, without having to disassemble them from the engine and/or buy new units?

codwx

Take a voltage reading at battery when running and compare to guage as guage maybe misleading, is voltage is low check allb attery connections espically on rear of battery on/off switch and motor connection. Idf problem still exists replace rect/reg..

Well, it is now Sunday, 7/27/14, and I think my original theory about the problem was half right - a mud dauber nest was the culprit, just not the one I found inside the throttle housing.

Following faztbullet's advice, I started with the battery switch, located under one of the rear seats. After disconnecting the battery leads, I disassembled the battery switch housing and found a mud dauber's nest built right over/on its ground terminal/cable. The nest had managed to loosen the nut on the terminal a little. I removed the nest, cleaned the area, retightened the nut and reinstalled the housing. The boat has been out a half dozen times since then, and it has not missed a beat.

Thank you, faztbullet, for pointing me in the right direction.

codwx

Hello, all.

I'm back, hat in hand, looking for more help. I not only still have the problem, but in my attempts to make it better, I appear to have made it worse.

Let me backtrack.

The intermittent low voltage (4 beep) alarm re-emerged not too long after I wrote the previous post. Subsequently, I did a thorough check of all the engine grounds and found them to be tight and non-corroded. I removed and visually checked all engine fuses. I removed and visually checked the connectors into the ECU and the relays. I measured the voltage at the battery while the engine was running numerous times and it never went below 14.5 volts, even while the low voltage alarm was annunciating. So, I was forced to conclude that there was a problem in (1) the voltage sensing system that sends the information to the ECU, (2) the wiring between the voltage sensor (presumably inside the alternator) and the ECU, or (3) the ECU itself.

Hoping for an easy and relatively cheap fix, I bought and installed a new alternator this past weekend. The low voltage annunciation began about 3-4 minutes after re-starting the engine. Depressed, I stopped the engine and did the Mercury service manual check of the alternator sensing/excitation plug, and it passed both tests (exact battery voltage via the sensing connector with the ignition switch off, battery voltage less .1-.15 volts via the excitation connector with the ignition switch on and fuel pump humming). I then followed the sensing wire from the alternator sensing/excitation plug into the wiring bundle just below it, and then into its presumable termination point at the ECU. I checked the two connectors going in to the ECU one more time. None of the pins were corroded or bent.

At that point, I tried to restart the engine, and now it will not. The starter is turning at an appropriate sounding rate, and it seems to cough (ignite) once when I first turn the key, but then it just turns and turns with no ignition.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem, and if so, what was your solution? To me, all signs are pointing to ECU or wiring between the alternator and ECU. The first of those is not a cheap fix. The second is not easy.

Help! :(

codwx

Back