Logo

Mercury 9.9 Water cooling flow

rs24331

I have a 2010 9.9 Merc. I noticed "no flow" out from the outflow hole that last time I was out. The
impeller has never been replaced, So, I ordered a new impeller repair kit. After removing the lower
unit, the impeller and gasket seem to look fine.
There is nothing blocking the flow, the key was in place to the impeller was turning. So, I just
reassembled the unit and tried it out....Still no flow. I will be getting my new impeller kit tomorrow.
My old impeller looks fine, so I am getting concerned. Is there anything else that would be an issue?
I am just having a hard time imaging the that it would lose all flow with the impeller wear.

water pump kit should have been changed a while ago...many times, the telltale hole with collect the crud in the water and clog up...try poking into the hole with a length of copper wire...a couple inches is plenty...

I have a different problem, related to the same issue. I just replaced my impeller, due to limited flow. Put it back together and it shoots a nice stream of water into the lake. However, I also now have a rather substantial flow coming out of the boat-side of the driveshaft house, just above the lower unit, about where the plastic cowling meets the shaft.

Is there a hose connection for water down there that has broken or come apart? Some sort of pressure relief for too much water flow? I have never seen it spew water from that location before.

May I ask where you bought your impeller? The kit I purchased from Boats.net included an impeller that was 1/16
to high for the housing. They configured it so I am not happy with them. I just purchased another one from MarineEngine.com.

Back