Logo

Mercury 80HP motor not starting have fuel, spark and compression

jmeitzler

I recently purchased my first boat which has an 80HP 800 4 cycle 2 stroke outboard motor that is not running. I am looking for some help. This is what I have found so far and where I am stuck.....

The motor is getting 135-140 compression. I had to replace my rectifier and the mercury switch. I found the mercury switch was bad by troubleshooting why I was not getting any spark. I removed the mercury switch and was able to get spark. I am waiting for the switch to arrive in the mail so I do not currently have one connected. I am able to get the motor running but only if I am spraying carb cleaner directly into the carb while running it.

Today I bought fuel pump kit and switched out some of the parts in the pump. I am not using the boat fuel tank since the person I purchased the boat from said it was only working when he used the small tank.

I took the carbs out and cleaned them up. I believe they look good inside. The carbs are filling up with fuel and I am getting spark.

One more thing to note...I need to figure out what is wrong with the throttle bar. When I put the throttle in neutral, it is not actually in neutral....I have to pull the bar back a little and then the engine will crank.

If you have any ideas or tips please help me out.

Thanks

Don't use that mercury switch--they're trouble (and no one uses them any longer).

The shifter needs to be adjusted to be in neutral--the black barrel on the control cable has to be screwed one way or another.

On the non-starting, I'd guess the motor is simply flooded. Replace the plugs and shoot some starting ether into the carbs (throttle open) to get her going.

Jeff

Don't use that mercury switch--they're trouble (and no one uses them any longer).

The shifter needs to be adjusted to be in neutral--the black barrel on the control cable has to be screwed one way or another.

On the non-starting, I'd guess the motor is simply flooded. Replace the plugs and shoot some starting ether into the carbs (throttle open) to get her going.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

I will get new plugs this morning and try to adjust the shifter. this isn't something I have messed with yet so I will be pulling up some diagrams.

That is interesting about the switch. I guess I will have to return it when I get it!

Disconnect the shift cable and put both the engine and throttle in neutral then adjust the cable to fit.
Thank you we were going to work on that today but we started troubleshooting the motor. We have run into another problem now...we are not getting fuel to pump when turning the key over.

Back