Logo

Mercury 40 hp 0T518996 2002 , 2 stroke

Beamer50

I cannot get the timing close 8 degrees BTDC and its at 25 ATDC , new flywheel, new trigger, took it to mercury dealer for a link and sync and timing. $337
Kept cutting off from in gear to neutral back to no wake. Could a bad stator be the culprit ? I bought it last Sept. and it looks like the flywheel must have come off from marks in metal behind oil tank and flywheel looks new and some scraps on one side of stator. Theres nothing else to replace but the stator right ? Could that cause timing to be so far off. Oh, when I got back home that's when I checked the timing myself, 25 ATDC and cannot adjust link rod enough to even get close to correct timing. My work order receipt says adjusted all links and set timing. NO WAY!!!
Beamer

I cannot get the timing close 8 degrees BTDC and its at 25 ATDC , new flywheel, new trigger, took it to mercury dealer for a link and sync and timing. $337
Kept cutting off from in gear to neutral back to no wake. Could a bad stator be the culprit ? I bought it last Sept. and it looks like the flywheel must have come off from marks in metal behind oil tank and flywheel looks new and some scraps on one side of stator. Theres nothing else to replace but the stator right ? Could that cause timing to be so far off. Oh, when I got back home that's when I checked the timing myself, 25 ATDC and cannot adjust link rod enough to even get close to correct timing. My work order receipt says adjusted all links and set timing. NO WAY!!!
Beamer
You are not idling at 25 degrees can pretty much guarantee that. If it dies when shifting could be as simple as to low of an idle. What is your compression? Spark to all cylinders jumps a 7/16" air gap. What i your idle RPM in gear? Do you have the factory manual?

Back