Logo

Mercury 35 hp won't start

PHME

I recently picked up a 35 hp merc. It ran when I looked it over. I put it on my boat, took it to the lake and realized very quickly it had no power under load.
Local marina suggested carb cleaning. Did that, same issue. Took it to the marina for repair and they stated it's unrepairable because it needs a stator, trigger and switch. The switch on it is new. I found I had spark to #1 but not #2. I switched coils and found #2 coil to be bad. Replaced that and then found a loose magnet in the flywheel. Re epoxied that and now I have spark on both coils. Now, it won't start. I thought it might be a fuel issue but even spraying gas oil mix into the carb it will not fire. With the plugs out it spins over freely. With the plugs in it spins over and the acts like it's locking up from compression after a few revolutions. I spun the flywheel until #1 was at it's peak and the flywheel was at "0" so I figured it's not a timing issue but I'm not confident of that as it sounds like it's a back pressure stopping the revolutions....
What are your thoughts?

Back