Logo

Mercury 225 EFI 2004 Voltage Regulator or Resister

PaddyKeyWest

Sorry but can not figure out the technical terms.

Symptom: RPM gauge would max out even though engine as not reving. I check battery and cables and connectors and everything was clean. Mechanic told me it was the Rgulator Resister (spelling ?) which is water cooled. Took old one out and it smelled burnt. So ordered new one and it came with four connecting wires not three like the old one. Mercury and Yamaha say this is the correct replacement that you must also replace some other part it connects too. So ordered that part and still have extra wire connector.

Any one ever come across this? Any information or insight would be helpful.

OK, needed to replace the water cooled rectifier on 2004 Merc 225 EFI (understand it is a Yamaha Head). The new part came from Mercury with a label over the Yamaha part number. The new Rectifier has an extra wire connection. Does any one know how to handle this extra connector?

Re: Mercury 225 EFI 2004 Voltage Regulator or Rectifier

Looking for anyone who may have replaced the Rectifier on the 2004 Mercury 225 EFI (Yamaha Head) recently. The new rectifier part comes with four connectors while the old one had only three connectors.

The extra wires are pink and yellow to the connector. I have placed a picture of the part and extra connector.
Extra Connector EFI 225.JPG

If the Tach is maxed out at idle chances are the tach needs to be replaced. While the engine is running tap on the front of the tach with the handle of a screw driver and see if the tach jumps around. If it does replace the tach. You maybe replacing the regulator for no reason.

No the Tach would jump around either at idle or under way. The water cooled rectifier was burnt. Now the new rectifier came with extra connectors and then the regulator has extra connector (pink and yellow wires) which have no place to connect to.

Back