Logo

Mercury 200 hp idle

Hi, First timer, I have a 2002 Mercury outboard , it is a 2 stroke and carbs. Engine runs great. Long run to the islands , but then short starts and stops while moving from fishing spot to fishing spots. Restarts get progrssively harder like it wont idle and dies.
It sounds like the rpms are not set high enough at these restarts. Any ideas

Does the starter sound slower? What do the spark plugs look like?
starter is not slower on restarts, havent checked plugs on a restart. It is a 2 stroke and would think they would be a little fouled, just because of the engine not starting right away. <y point is when it trys to restart the idle is way down and I have to try to gun the motor.

If it doesn't fire immediately on the first cold start rebuild the carbs...idle circuits are probably plugged somewhat.

If you redo your carbs ensure that compressed air is part of the procedure. I had a problem with my 90 and inspection of the carb bowl was flawless. Nothing but alum, absolutely spotless, and a brass screw in the bottom of the bowl. On carb #3 of 3 I hit the screw with air and ala a little blob of black crud blew out. Realized this was my high speed jet.

On #1 I took the top cover off and looked at the low speed circuit (cavity) and had several pieces of black crud. Blew it out, re assembled and solved my low and high speed problems. I guess my hoses were deteriorating after 12 years. Had to be as the fuel filter would have blocked anything up stream.

HTH,
Mark

Back