Logo

Mercury 200 20 HP (1975 I think) Manual Starter assemply help PLEASE

stevewaddell

Bought this engine used and it worked GREAT. The pullcord on the starter broke so I had a friend (who bragged he knew everything about boats) repair it. Now, the sheave that holds it all together is stripped (I rethreaded it) but I am having trouble getting the pawls to engage the flywheel. Don't know if I am putting things in the wrong order (going by a hard to see picture) or my friend lost some parts. Can't tell by the picture exactly how the pawls sit and don't know if this model uses the 3 wavy washers? It ran great and the parts are hard to come by but it is worth fixing. PLEASE HELP. Anyone have a clear detailed picture of how it is to be assembled? This is all the info I have on it. Mercury 200 20 HP Serial 4151343

I AM AT MY WITS END!!!!

Also because its hard to find a diagram I might be using the wrong one but it seems to have "most" the same parts. I don't recall seeing the 3 pawl washers when we took it apart. A "SCANNED" "CLEAR" photo from a good manual would be great. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help.
Thanks guys. My email is [email protected]Image 000.jpg Above is the crappy picture I am going by

Last edited:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...200/3537531-thru-4709592-usa/starter-assembly this might be a little better but yes it has the three small wave washers for the pawls and the large one that puts pressure on the retainer and enguage/disenguages the pauls. It is a 1975 model 200

Firstly, I'd kick your friend's ass for screwing things up for you. Secondly, if the motor works that good, it's probably worth buying another pull cord unit (I'm fairly certain you can buy it already set up, wound, just a straight bolt it) because oftentimes when the spring is rewound it weakens, and could snap on you anytime. In turn, out on the water by yourself would suck if it happened then.

I hope this helps.

Robby

Thats the same picture I have. Took me awhile and some calls to find out it was a 1975. I was there when he took it apart and don't recall seeing the 3 pawl washers so wasn't sure. Thanks for your response.

Yea I wanted to beat the crap out of him. He was "drinking" but said he worked on boats before. I got the motor for $100 so yea its worth keeping. It sat on its side under a tarp OUTSIDE for two years before I got it. I hooked the fuel lines up and pulled it once and nothing. Pulled it again and it started right up. It runs great and I've had it out several times until the pull cord snapped. DEF worth $100. That is why I am wanting to fix it because its worth it. Thanks for your response.

Back