Logo

Mercury 20 hp leaking gas.

Thechap1

I apologize if this isn't in the correct location. I have a 2015 Mercury 20 hp boat motor which I am using on my pontoon boat. I used it for the first time this season yesterday. I did run it for a couple of minutes the day before going to the lake yesterday. It took a little while of cranking before it finally started. I used the ear muffs and the water hose when I did start the engine.

We went to the lake yesterday to fish. I tried to start the motor for at least four minutes but no luck. I looked at the motor and saw a film of gas on the water. I assumed I had flooded the motor and let it set for a couple of minutes. I was finally able to get it started. At the first location I saw a film of gas again on the water. These aren't large films but about five inches at the base of the the motor. We went to another location and stopped. I was in the front of the boat and could smell gasoline. I again saw a film of gas and decided to get the boat back to the launch.

When I got home I removed the cowl and couldn't find any leaks. The engine also used a lot more gas as in the post. Any ideas of what is happening? I have a call into the repair shop but but they haven't called yet. Thanks for the help!

Do you store it with fuel in the carburetor ?-----Sounds like you need to clean carburetor and replace fuel pump diaphragm.

Sorry , not familiar with this new technology.----Sounds like injector issue.----Have your local shop figure it out.

Back