Logo

Mercury 1987 150 XR2 Power Trim leak

llyons

I have a 1987 Mercury 150 XR2 Black Max and have recently started leaking oil from the power trim reservoir on the right side near top seal when trimming down only. The oil also is milky so I believe some brackish water got into the system. Because of this I need to drain immediately and fix the leak.

The power trim tilt has the square pump motor on the right and the reservoir on the left. I have recently added Type F transmission fluid to fill.

How do I drain the fluid (the pressure release screw doesnt seem to want to come out so not taking a chance on breaking that)

Any other suggestions on fixing the leak considering water also got into the system?

Thanks
Lance

Re: Mercury 150 XR2 Power Trim leak

This is an instance you need a manual. Some systems are pressurized while the engine is up, some when its down. You want to release the pressure when its not under pressure if you get what I am saying. Theres' lots of orings, and it seems one of yours has failed. Make sure your screwdriver is the right size, and give it a couple of love taps with a hammer or mallet, that should help the screw move. When it does move, turn it very slowly.

Re: Mercury 150 XR2 Power Trim leak

I have the mercury outboard manual and there is a section on power trim but I can see anything about removing the fluid completely. I can see text about bleeding the system. I can imagine taking it completely off and turning it upside down to drain but I would think there is a way to take the fluid out with it on the boat.

Back