Logo

Mercury 115HP outboard serial number damaged

stgodsfarm

I just bought an old mercury 115HP straight 4 cylinder (2 stroke). It's been sitting for awhile so I need some basics to refresh it. Trouble is, the serial number tag on the transom mounting bracket doesn't seem to have a number printed on it, though the tag does look original. Very strange... The pressed-in number on the side of the engine is damaged so I can't see the beginning of the number. Anyone have an idea on how to begin identifying this? I have been poking around and found some starting points, but I don't understand how the serial numbers progress. For example, I see things like Serial #Cxxxxxx through Gxxxxxx. But the first character looks like it might be a B or R or something... I can't tell! Here is a picture of the tag on the aft part of the cowl (colors are quite faded...) and also the damaged pressed-in medallion. Previous owner said he thought it was around a '94. Thanks!

attachment.php
IMG_1422.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1421 (1).jpg
    IMG_1421 (1).jpg
    421 KB · Views: 41
For example, in the range I have found on certain resources, I see this: D283222 - G090125

How high does the "D" range go? Up to D999999?

There are states where outboards are " titled / registered / licensed "-----You would think they would demand a stamped metal / permanent identification on these pricy items.----Laser printed ID stickers is cheap manufacturing !

Back