Logo

Mercury 115 pro xs water flush check valve issue

Fishman83

II was out on my boat last weekend (2021 tracker pro guide v175) and all of a sudden I noticed I was loosing water pressure. I look back at the pee stream and it was sputtering. I slowed the boat down to idle and the pressure came back to 5 psi. Got going again and it jumped up to 15-20 like normal and about 20 seconds later it drops down to zero. This continues over and over. I tried shutting down the motor let it sit for a while but it didn’t help. Then my fishing buddy noticed that water was seeping through the flush cap. I knew this was not normal so I came to the conclusion there must be a check valve and it must be failing and somehow effecting the cooling system. So I decided to try and block the pressure leakage coming out of the flush cap. I cut a piece of round plastic from a lure box to put between the flush cap and the rubber hose washer. To our amazement this actually worked. Pressure held the rest of the day, water pressure was normal at idle and wot.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Or is there other issues that could cause the condition I experienced? I’m paranoid I just got lucky and what I did didn’t fix the problem but it was coincidence. I know that the check valve failed, but I’m trying to understand how a little water seepage past the valve could cause the cooling system to fail like that. I’m paranoid and thinking about changing the impeller to be safe.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Back