Logo

Mercury 115 Optimax goes in to guardian mode at 3000 rpm

DPH

I first need to start off by saying what a wonderful site this is. My 115 Optimax was going into guardian mode with a continuous beep whenever I’d get close to 3000 rpm, if I didn’t throttle down, it would kill my motor and I’ve have to shift to neutral and restart. I took it to my mechanic, he ran a diagnostic on it ($50) and said the only code was a low oil alarm and it could be either the oil sensor probe or that the float in the tank was not working. As he was very backed up and couldn’t get to actually look at my motor for a long time, I decided to try and fix it myself. I first replaced the oil sensor probe ($15), that wasn’t it. I then dropped $350 on a new oil tank, that wasn’t it. I then turned to this site and with a little research, I narrowed it down to a possible bad neutral safety sensor. I was able to disconnect the wires to the NSS without actually having to remove the sensor and pull my oil tank. I checked the continuity of the sensor in both neutral and in gear, the circuit was closed in both throttle positions. $30 dollars for a new neutral sensor and about an hours worth of labor and my problem was solved. I took my boat out today and was able to run full throttle with no issues or alarms. Had I have checked on this site before going to my mechanic, I could have saved over $400 in unneeded parts and a ton of frustration every time I took it to the lake only to find out the problem still existed. Thank you to everyone that posted and helped me figure out my issue

Back