Logo

Mercury 115 EFI 4 stroke going into guardian mode

JohnnyW

Having an issue with my 2002 Mercury 115 EFI 4 stroke going into limp/guardian mode. It has been doing this for about a year now and it might have started after I replaced the water pump impeller. Can't remember exactly. I have replaced the water temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, thermostat, tach, and battery cables. Sometimes it will go for a couple weeks and never act up, and sometimes 4-5 times a day. Yesterday, I started it and backed out of the slip and it started. Been running about 45 seconds. Sometimes I can run it for 1/2 hour before it acts up. I will pull it back into neutral and sometimes that will reset it and other times I have to turn the key off to reset. Water seems to be very strong coming out the piss hole. I took the thermostat out, put the housing back on, pulled the hose off and started the motor and the water came out like a fire hose when I rev'ed it up some. Put in a new thermostat anyhow. Checked all the grounds I could find and put new battery cables on. I replaced the tach because the needle was jumping all over the place. There is no beep, beep, beep, just a steady long beeeeeeep until I restart the motor.
Any ideas are very much welcome.
Thanks
John

Have you had it scanned by the dealer for a code? Probably cheaper than throwing parts at it. Did the old impeller come out in one piece? Did you replace the impeller or put a kit in? Was it a cheap kit or oem? Is it a salt water motor?

Did th
Having an issue with my 2002 Mercury 115 EFI 4 stroke going into limp/guardian mode. It has been doing this for about a year now and it might have started after I replaced the water pump impeller. Can't remember exactly. I have replaced the water temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, thermostat, tach, and battery cables. Sometimes it will go for a couple weeks and never act up, and sometimes 4-5 times a day. Yesterday, I started it and backed out of the slip and it started. Been running about 45 seconds. Sometimes I can run it for 1/2 hour before it acts up. I will pull it back into neutral and sometimes that will reset it and other times I have to turn the key off to reset. Water seems to be very strong coming out the piss hole. I took the thermostat out, put the housing back on, pulled the hose off and started the motor and the water came out like a fire hose when I rev'ed it up some. Put in a new thermostat anyhow. Checked all the grounds I could find and put new battery cables on. I replaced the tach because the needle was jumping all over the place. There is no beep, beep, beep, just a steady long beeeeeeep until I restart the motor.
Any ideas are very much welcome.
Thanks
John

Has this issue been resolved? I’m having the same issue and can’t figure it out. Exact same problem on my 2002 75hp EFI

Back