Logo

Mercuiser 5.0 2006 mystery

riccat533

I have a 2006 5.0 in a VIP. I took it in to have the oil pan replaced.
It was running good on some very old gas when I took it in. They replaced the oil pan and I picked it up. My wife and I took it out. Would not run
more than 5 or 6 miles per hour, was not firing on three pistons. Took it to a different mech shop. What its not: Not the injectors, they check out fine, not the ECU, it checks out fine, not the plugs, they were replaced, signal to the injectors to fire was checked, all recieved proper signal, Mechanic
it deep into this and talking with mercruiser about the problem. Has anyone ever had this strange problem and found something that was just out of
the ordinary. Help is really needed. Have lost the whole summer with this
boat. Any suggestions besides buying a new engine. Oh yeah, the compression was checked.

Sure sounds like injectors to me, particularly in light of the old gas.
Fuel filters? Water in the fuel?
Have you checked the fuel rail pressure, both at idle and under load?
Exhaust manifolds and risers? Clean and free of obstructions?
Is it the same 3 cylinders missing? If so, it should be easy to track down.
I would first replace those 3 injectors.
Plug wires?

Rod

I will check with my mechanic. I believe he said the fuel rail pressure was good.
yes, its the same three cylinders. Plug wires, I agree, but its only five years old.
kept in a boat shed not out in the open.

It was running good on some very old gas when I took it in.

Ayuh,.... I think ya answered yer question with yer 2nd sentence....
'n I don't see fuel Filters mentioned...
The contents of 'em should be examined...

there was a problem with ecms look into tripple nickle vs adlphi . shift interupter. exhaust stoped up old flapper in tube? when hard execel does it pop through intake? do you trust your mec does he have a ddt or laptop with propper software to support your engine?

If you suspect injectors, swap a known or thought to be known good one with one that is "NOT" fucntioning before buying new ones.

This is a good suggestion.
My 6.2 MAG MPI died stone dead in the water last summer, due to a carbon tracked distributor cap.

Rod
Merc has a new service bulletin out on this right now. Below is the headline for you.;):) But honestly I could foresee this causing other running issues as well i'm sure.;) Just figured I should throw it out there just in case.;)

SMC-11-06.
Models Affected, All MerCruiser V8 engines with HVS ignition systems, Serial Numbers 0M300000 and above.
Replacement Distributor Cap on MerCruiser MPI Engines with HVS Ignition Systems MerCruiser has received reports of a misfire condition occurring after recent installation of service replacement distributor caps. The misfire typically begins to occur after 20 minutes of engine operation.
NOTE: Only replacement distributor caps or distributor cap and rotor kits with box dates (as identified on the box) between January 1, 2011 and May 24, 2011 are affected by this bulletin.

how was ecu verified ck with mercury the year your motor was produced had faulty ecms have modle and serial numbers from engine and ecm ready i would not rely on the word of mechnic unless merc certified and current dealer make them show you how they keep track of recals and bullitians do there tecs regulary read these? dealer can go online through merc net to ck recalls or bullitans that apply to your motor. research is free a trip to the shop is not im suspect of the first shop due to new problem after visit . im sad to say this is not uncommon and ticks me off. A good tec does not have to create work to be sucessful.

Interesting. Since the box would have been thrown out, I wonder how you would know if yours falls into that date window?
I think there are more bad ones out there than this SB would indicate.
My failed distributor cap dated back to July 06 when the engine was built. At the time of failure it had about 70 hours on it.

Rod

Back