Logo

Mercuiser 350 bogs down SOMETIMES

Thomasjg

So here is my dilemma. I recently bought a 1990 bayliner 2561.
Did some minor repairs (replaced bilge pumps etc) took it out on the water it would run but didn't seem to want to plane off. Took it back off the water did a few other minor things (battery related) took it back out again did fine at a slow speed (under 5) when I tried to accelerate it would bogg down and not plane off. Sat and fished for a while started the boat again and it took off planes out ran like a champ. Stopped again. Started it up wouldn't plane out again. Slow rpm's back and it seemed like it would cut out, you could feel the boat lurch then pick up again, usually just a fraction of a second not ever enough to stall the motor.
Help? Thoughts?

how old is the fuel in the tank?

There was a bit maybe 5x-7 gallons in it it was topped off with premium fuel 40 gallons or so. I just pulled the distributor cap and the points are defiantly fouled so they are going to be replaced along with the wires and plugs.

an conversion kit to replace the points may not be a bad idea....but I'd get it running right, first, before making any changes.....and documenting what was done and when in a logbook will pay dividends in the future....

I'm thinking the accelerator pump in the carb is not working properly.

Remove the flame arrestor, look down inside the carb, and have someone pump the throttle a few times. Did you see gas squirting out? If not, the pump needs replacement.

Jeff

Back