Logo

Mercruiser service manual 24 misprint?

outobie

Regular Contributor
Hello all

im installing new exhaust elbows on my 2001 5.7 alpha 1 gen 2

in service manual 24 it says to apply a 3 mm bead of thread sealant to both sides of the elbow to manifold gasket and to use “Perfect seal” on the bolt threads.

shouldnt it be the other way around?

i would have expected it to say apply the “Perfect seal” to the gasket and the thread sealant to the bolt threads.

can anyone confirm which goes where

thanks

I use Perma-Tex Aviation sealant on everything thats threaded, wet, dry, oil ,gas, or water. The product has never let me down.

ok so your confirming that the service manual is wrong then?

Here is the quote from Service manual 24, page 7B-5

Installation
Gaskets
NOTE: The service replacement gasket may not be the same type of gasket that was used
in production.
The fire ring gasket with 4 slots is used between all manifolds, risers and exhaust elbows.
IMPORTANT: After applying Loctite 510 to the gasket, assemble components immediately.
1. Apply a 1/8 in. (3 mm) bead of LOCTITE 510 Sealant P/N 92-804874 around all holes
on both sides of a new fire ring gasket.
a
a - 1/8 in. (3 mm) Bead of LOCTITE 510 Sealant
2. Assemble parts immediately and torque fasteners to specifications.
3. Allow sealant to cure 2-3 hours before starting the engine.

[h=1]LOCTITE 510[/h]
8797244555294.jpg
Gasketing Product- high temperature and chemical resistance. Ideal for use on rigid flanges.
LOCTITE 510 is a high temperature resistant anaerobic sealant which cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces. Typical applications include sealing rigid flange faces on transmissions and engine casings. It ensures an instant, low-pressure seal. The product increases the torque capacity of assembled flanges.

Your benefits

• High temperature resistant flange gasket
  • For metal flanges
  • Adapts to flange surface irregularities and scratches up to 0.25 mm
  • Increases the torque capacity of assembled flanges
  • P1 NSF Reg. No.: 123007

Since you didn't open the SB and read it......Here is the text 

Revised January 2001
Exhaust Manifolds, Risers and Exhaust Elbows
Models
All standard V6 and V8 gasoline engines with center outlet exhaust manifolds.
New Gaskets
IMPORTANT: These new gaskets are installed dry. No sealer is required.
P/N 27-863726 Gasket – 4 Slot.
P/N 27-863724 Gasket – Restrictor (with 2 holes and 2 slots). The 2 holes always go fore
and aft.
P/N 27-863725 Gasket – Block-off (without holes or slots). This gasket stops coolant flow.
Fastener Torque Change
33 lb-ft (45 Nm). Use this new torque on all fasteners when installing exhaust elbows or risers
onto exhaust manifolds.

I’ve not seen this service bulletin can you send or point me to where I can find

id be interested in any other service bulletins you can point me at as well

Back