Logo

Mercruiser Problem

Courtnew2

Hello,

I have been having a problem with my Mercruiser. It runs perfectly fine while out of the water with the water hose hooked up to it. When I take it in the water, it will not stay running it just keeps wanting to shut off and to keep it running I have to keep the throttle high. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

What engine, year, drive? Any other symptoms? Any work recently done?
What's the lowest speed it will stay running with the boat in the water?

It is a 2006 3L 4cyl, no other symptoms, the boat will stay running as long as you are giving it throttle, as soon as you stop giving it throttle it will die out no matter what speed.

On, land it is set at 800rpms.

Thanks

Hello,

I have been having a problem with my Mercruiser. It runs perfectly fine while out of the water with the water hose hooked up to it. When I take it in the water, it will not stay running it just keeps wanting to shut off and to keep it running I have to keep the throttle high. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

sounds like when the engine gets hot from pushing the boat around the engine won't idle...

the idle should be 650-700rpm . what temp does it show ? could be the sender is showing a low temp when in fact the engine is hot..

check the timing ..

if he has it set at 800 on land when in the water he should be between 600-650.

You loose rpm in the water !

This is a classic symptom of the idle circuit being clogged.

if he has it set at 800 on land when in the water he should be between 600-650.

You loose rpm in the water !

This is a classic symptom of the idle circuit being clogged.

thats interesting . I never experienced that out of gear , boat in the water the idle will drop 150-200rpm .

i had the same problem this summer, and it was a combination of things. i bought a carb kit and cleaned, cleaned and cleaned everything out. i had the needles in the bottom of the float bowl one completly pluged and the other partially. then its a matter of adjusting the idle screw on the throttle linkage with a combination of the air mixture screw on the right side of the carb.

Back