Logo

Mercruiser engine noise?

Idler pully bearing?
Not a bad idea.

Any changes when turning the steering wheel? If power steering, I'd expect some change in noise. If it's the squeal that you're referring to, not the tick, it seems to be cyclical, thinking it makes noise on the same spot per revolution.

Either use a stethoscope or a long handled screwdriver with the handle up to your ear and carefully probe around. It should be easy to isolate.

i had a harmonic balancer go bad as the interior rubber mount deteriorates and the steel outside moves back, hitting the timing cover. It was more of a scraping noise then what you have but never a bad thing to check.

No change when turning wheel. Sometimes it makes the noise sometimes it doesn't and sometimes the noise lasts longer in duration. Thanks

Personally,
I would expect any bearing failure to be heard immediately upon start up, not after an hour or so.
Not sure of boat outdrive but it could be the water pump if a Bravo series, alternator, water pump, idler bearing, or power steering.
Again, get a listening device to help isolate.

Personally,
I would expect any bearing failure to be heard immediately upon start up, not after an hour or so.
Not sure of boat outdrive but it could be the water pump if a Bravo series, alternator, water pump, idler bearing, or power steering.
Again, get a listening device to help isolate.

Alpha one drive. Another thing is that it doesn't seem to increase with Rpm

Alpha one drive. Another thing is that it doesn't seem to increase with Rpm

Increase meaning it doesn't get ...
1) louder
2) increase frequency with rpm?

Anything drive train related would expect to increase frequency with rpm's.

Maybe a vacuum leak instead?
Water pump gurgle if pump impeller is weak?
Bilge pump on?

Increase meaning it doesn't get ...
1) louder
2) increase frequency with rpm?

Anything drive train related would expect to increase frequency with rpm's.

Maybe a vacuum leak instead?
Water pump gurgle if pump impeller is weak?
Bilge pump on?

Still trying to figure it out. Mechanic thinks idler pulley

Back