Logo

Mercruiser drain plugs wrong manual freeze cracked block 2007 5.0 L

terragate

I received the wrong owners manual with my 2007 5.0L mercruiser engine in my Bayliner 212 boat. I followed manual instructions and drained the 3 point systen blue drain plugs. Now, I find out that there are at least 5 drain plugs and the correct owners manual describes the multi point drain system correctly. The block is cracked and Mercury Marine will not cover the engine under warranty. The boat and engine were still under warranty when I returned it to may dealer. Can anyone who might have had this problem respond and did you have any luck resolving the problem? Should I contact the better business bureau or an attorney? Please help!!

Re: Mercruiser drain plugs wrong manual freeze cracked block

I do not beleive that there is any recourse for do it yourself work done by one self.

you would only have recourse if a marine business did the work or someone who was insured and or bonded.

Because you recieved the wrong "owners manual" is not viewed as an excuse for a mistake or failure.

Where did the manual come from? a private sale or the marina you purchased the boat from? Was it a new boat purchase? or a used boat purchase?

The fact that the boat is a 2007 and has been propperly winterized before says someone knew how to do it.

The fact that you did not know how to do it propperly is no ones fault but your own, sorry to say.........

Thats it in a nutshell. I feel your pain. If everything else is ok the externals then your out a long block, brand new 2,000 bucks maybe more from gm. You do the work.

The mercruiser engine is a 2007, but it was purchased new in 2009. It was still under warrenty when I returned it to the dealer with a cracked block. The owners manual came with the boat when I purchased it new. All parties concerned agree that I was given the wrong manual. Help!! It has cost me over $500 to replace the engine. I have the original engine for "legal" purposes.

"The mercruiser engine is a 2007, but it was purchased new in 2009. It was still under warrenty when I returned it to the dealer with a cracked block. The owners manual came with the boat when I purchased it new."

...does this idicate the boat and the engine were purchased separately?

your only out 500 bucks then count yourself lucky and move on.

Oh make sure you don't do that again, bad, bad, bad to not drain properly. Probe the holes with a wire with a little hook on it, to get all the rust out and allow the hole to stay open.

Then when your certain it's drained reinstall the plugs. Me i add about a half gallon of antifreeze, to all the hoses so some lays in the mani, then some to the hose to make it run out the drive.

Back