Logo

Mercruiser Alpha One Gear Ratio

sourcefinder

Hello,

We have bought a new Alpha One with gear ratio 2,4 for an electric motor with more revolutions than a fuel engine.

Now we have the problem that we have another electric motor than we thought before, so we would need another gear ration like 1,7 or something like that (because with 2,4 we would need a 27 inch propeller and we think this could create cavitation....).

So the question is, how long would it take to change the gearwheels, what tools are needed and would you do this or would you use a 27 inch propeller instead of this?

My next question is regarding the back-gear. As we are working on a prototype boat with electric motor, we have the option by changing the voltage to run the engine in the other direction. So we would not use a gear stick, we would change direction by stopping engine and turning in the other direction.

Our dealer told us that he has left some steel props with 25 inch but they are left handed and so very hard for sale. So he offered us one left handed steel propeller for 250 Euro.......

As I asked him if the rear gear is the same gearwheel and the same construction as the normal gear, he told me that it is smaller dimension.
This means, if we choose a left handed propeller which is cheaper, and use the drive in rear gear mode, we could use it less hours than normal with a right handed propeller?

Thank You,
Best Regards,
Hermann

I believe if you want to run a left handed (counter rotation) proppeller you will need a counter rotation lower unit.

You can NOT run a standard rotation at high speeds in reverse........the gear ratio and gear teeth back lash for reverse in a standard rotation is different than a counter rotation.......No apples to apples for just revesing the motor and drive......

You would be better off in my opinion with a straight inboard set up and having a velvet drive rebiult to withstand forward and reverse at the same ratio and speeds.........

Back