Logo

mercruiser 4.3LX/V6 AlphaOne oil filter clearance issue

JL43062

Unfortunately, I had to experience what happens when oil filter comes in contact with fan adjustment bolt over time--the bolt wears a hole in the filter and drains oil. In my case, I don't believe it caused permanent damage, but it certainly was inconvenient and it needs fixed

The issue is seen with attached 'boat_filter.jpg'. See in lower left of filter that it contacts fan adjust bolt. The failed filter was replaced with what's pictured (carquest r85069). As the R85069 filter is also contacting bolt, won't be long until it fails too. From my inexperienced judgement, either the filter is wrong physical size, or the mount isn't installed correctly.

I've also attached 'boat_filter_mount_backout.jpg) that displays the mount bolt being backed out. I question whether a spacing washer was removed when last oil/filter change was performed on the engine? If additional washer was added, it looks like it would provide the space necessary for the filter to clear the bolt.

The 'mercruiser64-4.jpeg' pic is of the engine itself. Hoping someone experienced with this engine can provide insight on whether the correct filter is installed and if it is, why is it in contact with the bolt. I've attempted to cross reference the filter, but am not confident in the referencing. Without performing the servicing, I'm unaware of what filter model was used in the past when the problem didn't exist.

Seems like it'll be an easy fix, but I'm currently up against two options... Hopefully someone on this forum can reduce this?

Thanks for reading this. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

boat_filter.jpg

boat_filter_mount_backout.jpg

mercruiserv64-4.jpeg

First question,
Where did the remote oil filter mount come from? Do you know if that engine came that way new?
I was unaware mercruiser used then on 4.3 ltr engines. Only on 350 mags and Big block engines...

If you did not install this and someone else did they used the wrong remote oil filter mount.

Also a fully horizontal mount will completely resolve your issue.

I installed a remote oil filter mount on my 5.7 and it is completely horizontal and I use a very large/long oil filter with NO intereference.

I'd would say the carquest filter is 'too tall' (ie, wrong) for the application...you shouldn't have to loosen the remote filter head to change the filter.

I'd would say the carquest filter is 'too tall' (ie, wrong) for the application...you shouldn't have to loosen the remote filter head to change the filter.
Mark,
I have never seen a carbed V6 with remote oil filter in over 30 yrs, is there such a thing?

Jack:

I know they had an add-on optional kit as I installed one...which, of course, we had to lift the engine to get it done correctly.

Judging by the attachment, from MCM#7, I'd say you could have ordered it from the factory as well - see items tagged 'd', i think...

Attachments

• Pages from Manual 07 - GM V-6 83-93.pdf
    64.1 KB · Views: 3
First question,
Where did the remote oil filter mount come from? Do you know if that engine came that way new?
I was unaware mercruiser used then on 4.3 ltr engines. Only on 350 mags and Big block engines...

If you did not install this and someone else did they used the wrong remote oil filter mount.

Also a fully horizontal mount will completely resolve your issue.

I installed a remote oil filter mount on my 5.7 and it is completely horizontal and I use a very large/long oil filter with NO intereference.
Unfortunately I don't have any maint. records for the boat. However, I know the guy who bought it new and am not aware of any reason why the filter mount would have changed. From what I know only routine maintenance was performed.

Thanks for the 'horizontal mount' suggestion. I will look into this. Not being a boat guy I wasn't aware of this option.

But I first want to ensure the correct filter is being used... It's only off by about 1/2"--the washer and threads are correct. I'd be willing to continue using the vertical mount and sacrifice 1/2" of "filtering" if this compatible filter was to exist.

Agree 100%. However, after getting the boat to a marina, I was using filter wrench on the leaky filter and seeing that it wouldn't come off without defacing (applying force/bending/flexing) the old filter. By luck, there was a boat mechanic there that informed I needed to remove the remote filter head to change the filter... (my experience is car/truck oil changes--I'm not familiar with 'remote filter head', and was hesitant to remove a unknown part in order to remove the filter). The mechanic informed that there may be two spacers required and that whoever performed the last filter change left one off. From the pic I attached you can see the single spacer and that there would be sufficient threads to add a 2nd one. I am weighing this option too, but agree with you that a shorter filter would be ideal.

spacers and longer bolts if necessary .You can raise up all you want
I'm leaning toward what you're saying. It's an old boat that has been in the family since new... Time tested. I have no idea what went wrong with the last oil change but am somewhat surprised a "mechanic" would force fit the filter the way they did. Suppose that if the wrong filter was installed (a shorter one solves the problem too) then raising the remote filter head would open compatibility to both the old (correct) filter and the new (incorrect) one. Future proofing. lol

Thanks for the suggestion.

try a WIX 57099 - its an inch shorter...
I bought what you suggested and have it installed. Thanks.

I hope it's the filter (wix 57099) that "should" have been installed instead of the R85069 but doubt will ever know. The 57099 filter is only about 10% shorter, but anyone know the sacrifice of doing this? In my experience with filters (i.e. water, air), when I use a smaller one, it needs changed more frequent. But I suppose a smaller filter could also introduce restriction to flow if not matched properly. Just a slight concern... and unsure how I'd know if this was happening anyway.

You suggestion definitely solved a much bigger, and messier, problem. And I believe it was the simplest solution too. As with any change, time will be the most thorough test.

Thanks again! And thanks to all else that shared ideas.

the WIX filter suggested is a direct replacement for the OEM recommended part...and I checked the available specs to ensure it had high likelihood of fitting. The service interval for the sterndrive engines is very short so I'd doubt you'll ever encounter any restrictions...the K I S S principle makes life simple...most of the time...

If you live in the north, where you do not boat most of the year, oil and filter is done at the begining of every season.

If you live in warm weather where you can boat year round and use the boat regularly like 2-3 times a week for a few hrs each time, oil and filter if you use synthetic oil, every 200-300 hrs. Non syntheticoil, every 100-200 hrs

If you use it for water skiing or other towing activities then oil changes will be more frequent based on load.

Back