Logo

Mercruiser 170 Hp 3.7 liter needs help!!!!

Lowkey83

I know I know! This motor doesn't have a good rap. But that's ok. I'm willing to fix her up just need a little helpful knowledge. No history on this engine. It's in a 190 chaparral. First started it after it was sitting and it started and idled and revved but would back fire when throttle was dumped and released. Also temp said 160-180 but the exhaust elbows started smoking due to it getting hot so I shut it off. As of now I am converting stator to alternator. But am about to address this over heating issue. Where to start? How do I diagnose? Where is the impeller in this thing. In front cover or the out drive. I've heard mixed opinions. Is there a way to get a mechanics manual on it?? I will be doing a complete fluid change / tune up but need to address the over heating

hey bt doctur where can i find the sterndrive manual for my outdrive. engine manual keeps refering me to that manual for drive impeller. im assuming this has one in the water pump on the motor and one in the out drive???

Back