Logo

Merc trim tilt problem

stevebol

Hi,

I’m new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have a 2001 Mercury 115 4 stroke with a trim tilt problem, the problem is when under way at idle or just over I trim the motor up as you would for shallow water travel and the motor tilts up ok but does not stay up.

After releasing the trim button the motor then slips down to about 30 degrees that shows as the third or middle increment on the trim tilt gauge.

I’ve replace the manifold unit in the reservoir and the problem still occurs.

I am hoping someone on the forum might have had this problem and solved it and could give me some help.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Does your pump have a manual tilt knob or similar (release mechanism)? The one on my 70's - 80's Mercury/Mariner pump needs to be wound fully out. You need to track down a owner's manual for anything mechanical that you own/use. Do you need to bleed air from the system after performing the surgery you completed?

Last edited:
I know on some Mercury TT systems you have to cycle motor up and down a number of time to purge the air out. Worth a try after making sure fluid is full.

Kevin

Hi wynjim55, Yes the engine does have a release mechanism but I haven't checked it yet. After installing the manifold kit I did bleed the hydraulics several times by lowering and raising the engine then checking and topping up with fluid. After doing this the unit performed perfectly on land without any pressure on the engine. But on the water same problem.

Cheers

the unit is not supposed to hold tilt under power. it can be modified to disable spool valve. the point of the spool valve is to prevent lifting the water intakes too far and overheating engine

Hi,

I’m new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have a 2001 Mercury 115 4 stroke with a trim tilt problem, the problem is when under way at idle or just over I trim the motor up as you would for shallow water travel and the motor tilts up ok but does not stay up.

After releasing the trim button the motor then slips down to about 30 degrees that shows as the third or middle increment on the trim tilt gauge.

I’ve replace the manifold unit in the reservoir and the problem still occurs.

I am hoping someone on the forum might have had this problem and solved it and could give me some help.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Steve,
did you ever get this problem resolved?
I have a very similar problem that popped up this year, and can not seem to find anyone that can fix it without just repalcing the hydraulic unit.
When I am sitting in the water the trim up works fine; as soon as I accelerate (even moderately) the engine immediately drops to the lowest trim position. It will not trim up under power at all.
My enegine is also a 4 stroke 115 (2003) I have had it since new and it has always worked flawlessly til now.
Regards,
Jay

Back