Logo

Merc 9.8hp 2 stroke, I think, but cannot find this serial in the lists.

IS the trim a gold / copper colour ?----Picture of said motor ?----1985 was the last year for production / marketing in USA / CANADA for the 9.8 models

There may be a few other things to check.----Did you find all the impeller pieces ?---------Did you do a compression test ?----Did you remove bypass cover ( 3 screws ) to inspect pistons / rings ?----Plastic washer at the top of water tube may be melted ?--------Have seen this type of neglect on these motors before !

There may be a few other things to check.----Did you find all the impeller pieces ?---------Did you do a compression test ?----Did you remove bypass cover ( 3 screws ) to inspect pistons / rings ?----Plastic washer at the top of water tube may be melted ?--------Have seen this type of neglect on these motors before !

Thanks for the info! The motor starts and runs fine. quiet, no smoke. Obviously when I saw it wasn't pumping water I shut it down.

So where is the bypass cover and where is the plastic washer you mention? (Sorry, I'm new to outboards!)

I did find some of the impeller fins, but I need to have a good look in the pipes to make sure there are no more bits floating about...

Back