Logo

Merc 50 HP, 3 cyl. 2001 not getting fuel to the cylinders

upwindskipper

Problem came on suddenly, after no use for a week, she would not start. Spark is fine. I replaced the primer bulb and the internal fuel filter and dropped the gas pickup line into a clean gallon can. Confirmed that gas is getting as far as the filter but I don't know if that's because I'm pushing it past the fuel pump with the primer bulb. I placed a few drops of gas directly into the cylinders and immediately engine "popped" nicely so I know it's a fuel problem. I did see some varnish on the inside of the old primer bulb and on the inside of the old filter.

Issue must be fuel pump or carbs and I have not ever worked on either. Any advice on where to start?

That motor uses an enrichener circuit for starting. (It wouldn't start if the butterflies--not throttle--are not closed.) I've seen where the passages inside the carb is clogged so gas doesn't flow.

Easiest way to fix this is to get her running by shooting gas directly into the carbs to fire her up. You then warm her up a bit. Next, rev her up a bit (in neutral) and put the "choke" on until she starts to die before releasing it. Repeat a few times--that cleans out the passages.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff:

I tried to shoot some air into the carbs from the filter and it was blocked solid at the first Tee fitting on the top carb. Probably a piece of gas varnish from the old filter after I stored her without treating the gas. Followed your advice along with some seafoam spray and engine is now nice and smooth and I didn't have to rebuild the carbs which was just not in the schedule.

Back