Logo

Merc 496 Mag manual pump question

jigeye

OK. Will be winterizing later this year but had a question. The blue handle air pump that is supposed to come be "with" the engine on the little bracket is missing. That being said, can I use a standard electric air pump (like the ones you use to air tires on cars/powered through cigarette lighter) instead of having to buy another manual pump?

I would not trust anything like that . The safest way is to manually remove the hoses and probe the holes to make sure everything drains .
The 3 and 7 point drain systems are 3 and 7 point CRACK systems.

I would not trust anything like that . The safest way is to manually remove the hoses and probe the holes to make sure everything drains .
The 3 and 7 point drain systems are 3 and 7 point CRACK systems.

Ayuh,.... All of Merc's quick-drain systems are Cracked blocks, just waitin' to happen,.....

I use just plain ole brass pipe plugs from the hardware store in the block's, 'n manifold drain ports,...
A ssteel deck screw lives on the intake manifold, so it's easily available when drainin',....

Air don't freeze,....

To answer your question, Yes you can use a hand operated bike pump.

In reality, never pump air into the drain system. There is a good chance it will stay open.

It's a Mercruiser 496 and will be fresh water cooled. Just run anti freeze through the raw water side of the cooling system and test the Antifreeze in the engine.

Last edited:
Re: Antifreeze thru raw water side of FWC system. I use the "belt and suspenders" method mostly to help the elbows which are raw water cooled.... Flush with fresh water followed by a treatment with a salt remover product per instructions, then another fast fresh water flush... Got 9 seasons from a pair of MERC dry joints. Then for my 5.7 with dual thru transom exhaust with fiberglass mufflers, about 2 1/2 gal to 3 gal of the pink stuff before exhaust runs pure antifreeze.

Back