Logo

Merc 3.0 won't idle

Bayliner93

Hey guys. I have a 93 Bayliner that I've owned for about 3 years. It has a 3.0 L Mercruiser Alpha 1 sterndrive. I had it mothballed for about 2 years. Stupid for me I didn't drain the gas or use stablizer. I tried starting it about a month ago. I finally got it running, but only in "throttle only mode". I had to throttle up half way and reav up to about 5k. It'll run for awhile there, but I didn't won't to run it too long at that high RPM. I then changed the oil with new filter, flushed out the old gas, changed the plugs, and added Sea Foam to the new gas. I tried starting it again, same results. It will not start in neutral. I then took the carb off cleaned it, including the inline filter, as best as possible with carb cleaner and blew it out real good. I didn't open up the bowl or mess with the jets. That gets into uncharted territory for me. So I re-installed it. I set the idle and fuel mixture to the correct specs, as well as the choke (it has electric).
I tried starting, got the same results again. The vacuum hose appears to be draining fuel out of the carb, after running for 5 mins or so. I'm not sure if thats normal. I'm wondering if maybe the floats are stuck and causing flooding. The only other thing I didn't check is the fuel filter on the fuel pump, mainly because removal access is a pain. I'm thinking now I probably should attempt it, as well as the bowl, floats, and jets.
Other then that I don't know what else to do.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

The vacuum hose appears to be draining fuel out of the carb, after running for 5 mins or so.
Are you talking about the semi-clear hose connected between the fuel pump and the top of the carb? If you are then the fuel pump is shot,,,fuel is coming from a ruptured diaphragm.

Are you talking about the semi-clear hose connected between the fuel pump and the top of the carb? If you are then the fuel pump is shot,,,fuel is coming from a ruptured diaphragm.

That is the hose I'm refering to. Is that not the vacuum hose? Question... if I have a ruptured diaphram on my fuel pump, if I replace the fuel pump would that solve the idle problem?

That is the hose I'm refering to. Is that not the vacuum hose? Question... if I have a ruptured diaphram on my fuel pump, if I replace the fuel pump would that solve the idle problem?

I check online at several wholesale part sites. A new fuel averages about $110.00. Is it possible to rebuild it?

I bought one about 7 yrs. ago for $50 from NAPA. Will it help the idle issue? Right now it's dumping raw gas into the intake...it will stop the flooding. Did you price the pump on this site?

Yes, I got the price from this site. It was for a Quicksilver brand pump. I realize that is high end. I also checked a couple other "Wholesale" sites, they were about the same price. How did you have NAPA cross reference the part? Also the one you bought was that filter and all?

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/CARTER-FUEL-PUMP-REBUILD-KIT-P241145.aspx
http://www.428cobrajet.org/how-to-fuel-pump
er69841.jpg

Back