Logo

Merc. 3.0 timing chain cover

mwf35

Does anyone know where I can get a low cost steal, or a plastic or composite timing chain cover for a 3.0 Merc. A freind told me he has heard of non-metal ones that will never rust. I was looking around and could not find one. $200-$250 seems like alot for a stamped piece of tin. I saw stainless ones for a small block chevy for $30. Any help would be appreciated.

Timing Cover.........not gears or chain....

I would suggest finding a junk donor motor....there are many out there....Criagslist may be a source or go to a marine business and I would bet they have many a bad 4 cyclinder motor lying around......

Thanks, but these are all for V-8 small block chevys. I know the 3.0 was designed from the 153 c.i.chevy from the late 60's and I was searching that but could not find any. I just found another similar thred and the guy says it is GM part number 3992251 and about $75 form GM. I will post an update if I find one. Also, does anyone know if I have to drop the oil pan to do the timing cover? Thanks in advance

what year 3.0? there are 3 different covers depending on year

The boat is a 2000. Maybe I will have to order by serial number. That other post said that the GM part number one fits all years. Not sure if he iscorrect or not. Will have to do some research. Thanks for the info.

How i posted the wrong cover is beyond me for that I apologize. I'm humbled.

7 years ago i needed a cover for my 3.0l i walked into Kodiak customs by me near the Englishtown racetrack told the guy what i wanted and the next day it was there waiting for me.

You have to drop the oil pan, And i bet if your timing cover went cause it rusted out the oil pan front lip might have went on yours.

Anyway i found I had to yank the engine. Drop the pan take off the cover, clean all the little holes with a wire so the nubs on the timing cover gasket would fit in the holes.

That was a byatch in itself.

Depending on the year of your engine, you need to order the oil pan gasket.

Me I used alot of permetex blue.

I also painted like 4 times my pan and the rest of the block.

So if you try to do it in the boat it will leak and you will be doing it twice... want the names of the guys i know you can call them cause they all tried doing it without yanking the engine.

Then we did it my way the second time. Costs them twice for gaskets and beer.

the GM part number I come up for 2000 year is 3853135.
The one you are referencing *might* fit - but there's something different about it - could just be the timing tab location, but in 1990 that engine changed crankshafts and the damper changed too. again - might be timing mark location, but might be seal size - the seal part number changes. Ireally doubt it will work, but for $75 your call. If they'll restock it for 10% or something, that will be minor.

Back