Logo

Mariner 9.9 to 15hp upgrade

Katyg2895

I own a 1985 Mariner 9.9. I see in the manual that this engine is the same motor as a 15hp. Nothing is noticebly diffent in the listed specs but I have been told that the head and jetting would upgrade this 9.9 to a 15hp.

Anyone ever hear of this or have experience with this type of upgrade. Would love to increase my hp 5hp which would be over 30%.

Thanks for any advice.

True, but the displacement is the same so your boat won't be much faster. On most similar motors, the carb throat gets smaller and the tuner more restrictive when the larger motor is "shrunk".

Jeff

There are actually quite a few differences.

First off the 15 horse used a 16 cubic inch block, the 6/8/9.9 used a 12.6 cubic inch block, so you can "hop it up" a little but it will never make 15 horses.

Second, the carb is different - not just the jets, so you must replace the entire carb.

Third - the exhaust plate is different (larger bore on the exhaust tube) so the exhaust plate/tube (which is all one unit) must be replaced in order to allow the motor to "breathe out" properly or all the extra "intake" has nowhere to go and it won't develop the horses.

Fourth - the plate/tube that originally fit the pre 1994 models is no longer in production and while the new plate (94 1/2 and newer) will bolt right in its place, the water tube must also be replaced (the old style screwed into the plate, the new one presses in and can not be retrofit back and forth - so new water tube for the new plate).

Fifth - the new water tube has a flare about 2/3's of the way down the tube so it will not fit through the existing guide hole that exists in the exhaust housing. No big deal but you need an "installers" drill bit at least 24" long to widen the hole in the casting to allow the new tube to pass through.

So if you do all that you can turn your 9.9 into about a 12 horse = 300'ish bucks worth of parts = 150 bucks a horse and if you can tell the difference between a 10 (really) and 12 horse then you are far better than me (or the average guy for that matter).

(hmmm sounds like I have "up-horsed" a number of 9.9's for guys :))

Later model 9.9's were built on the 16 cube block and can be really converted to 15 horses, but anything from the mid 1990's back will never quite make it.

I have done quite a few "non-scientific" tests between 9.9's and 15's (I own both) and on my 14 foot aluminum, under varying conditions, the maximum performance (read top speed) difference I have noted is 3 mph (gps measured) and more often, closer to 2 mph.

Now that is kind of significant when your top speed might be 15 mph to start with, but unless you stare at the gps the difference between say 15 and even 18 mph is nothing you notice.

The earlier converted 9.9's (up horsed) often result in "no perceivable" change.

I always try to talk the requesting person out of the upgrade for all the reasons I list above and if they still insist I take their money and they lie to themselves about how much better/stronger/faster their motor is.

Should have added to the above - these do not have a head, at least not as you are thinking of it, so you can't "pull the head" swap it out and gain a bit of displacement.

These are referred to as "split blocks" - sometimes called "jugheads".

The cylinder is bored right into the upper part of the block and what "appears" as a head is simply a water jacket cover with holes bored through for the sparkplugs.

So when you split the block on these, the entire cylinder and intake/exhaust ports are in the upper block, the lower crank case, intake/reeds/carb mount etc is in the lower block with the crank running right down the middle between the two halves.

The bottom line is, there is no way to increase the displacement of one of these existing blocks (which were built by Yamaha exclusively for Merc and used on Merc's and Merc/Mariners for all their 2 stroke 6 thru 25 horse models from 1985 until 2012 - 2 stroke Merc's were still available outside of the US until last years model year in select horsepowers).

If you want a 15 horse you could replace the powerhead, carb, exhaust plate, water tube and scavenge everything else from your current motor but often times that would cost you more than a new model..

That's the best decision. If you really want to upgrade to something you will "notice", you should look at a 20 or 25 horse if your boat can take the horsepower. Both have more displacement so you get that low end torque to get you up and going.

The 25 horse 2 stroke is probably my favourite Merc motor of all time (in the portable line) but when the time comes to replace the motor - if you are keeping the same boat and consider "New" I would also have a look at Merc's current 20 horse 4 stroke. I'm not a huge 4 stroke fan, but it's a pretty sweet motor and comes in under 120 pounds.

But enjoy your 9.9. I have two of them and they are fantastic little motors. My "newer" one is 26 years old and runs as well as the day I bought it (new)....

There are actually quite a few differences.

First off the 15 horse used a 16 cubic inch block, the 6/8/9.9 used a 12.6 cubic inch block, so you can "hop it up" a little but it will never make 15 horses.

Second, the carb is different - not just the jets, so you must replace the entire carb.

Third - the exhaust plate is different (larger bore on the exhaust tube) so the exhaust plate/tube (which is all one unit) must be replaced in order to allow the motor to "breathe out" properly or all the extra "intake" has nowhere to go and it won't develop the horses.

Fourth - the plate/tube that originally fit the pre 1994 models is no longer in production and while the new plate (94 1/2 and newer) will bolt right in its place, the water tube must also be replaced (the old style screwed into the plate, the new one presses in and can not be retrofit back and forth - so new water tube for the new plate).

Fifth - the new water tube has a flare about 2/3's of the way down the tube so it will not fit through the existing guide hole that exists in the exhaust housing. No big deal but you need an "installers" drill bit at least 24" long to widen the hole in the casting to allow the new tube to pass through.

So if you do all that you can turn your 9.9 into about a 12 horse = 300'ish bucks worth of parts = 150 bucks a horse and if you can tell the difference between a 10 (really) and 12 horse then you are far better than me (or the average guy for that matter).

(hmmm sounds like I have "up-horsed" a number of 9.9's for guys :))

Later model 9.9's were built on the 16 cube block and can be really converted to 15 horses, but anything from the mid 1990's back will never quite make it.

I have done quite a few "non-scientific" tests between 9.9's and 15's (I own both) and on my 14 foot aluminum, under varying conditions, the maximum performance (read top speed) difference I have noted is 3 mph (gps measured) and more often, closer to 2 mph.

Now that is kind of significant when your top speed might be 15 mph to start with, but unless you stare at the gps the difference between say 15 and even 18 mph is nothing you notice.

The earlier converted 9.9's (up horsed) often result in "no perceivable" change.

I always try to talk the requesting person out of the upgrade for all the reasons I list above and if they still insist I take their money and they lie to themselves about how much better/stronger/faster their motor is.
Absolutely the best, most straightforward response I have ever read. No matter the subject....I am, by trade, an automotive and cycle gear head. I have had and currently own a few outboards...and as a gear head, always looking for more. More speeds, horses, etc..but, Sir. I will forego that based on your response. I wish more people were like you. Hats off. Stay safe....

But it helps to post correct information...
Should have added to the above - these do not have a head, at least not as you are thinking of it, so you can't "pull the head" swap it out and gain a bit of displacement.

These are referred to as "split blocks" - sometimes called "jugheads".

Absolutely the best, most straightforward response I have ever read. No matter the subject....I am, by trade, an automotive and cycle gear head. I have had and currently own a few outboards...and as a gear head, always looking for more. More speeds, horses, etc..but, Sir. I will forego that based on your response. I wish more people were like you. Hats off. Stay safe....
Sounds like the blind leading the blind.

Mariner by Yamaha. 9.9 that shares the same block as the Yamaha 15.

Is the innerweb better at spreading misinformation than correct information? Seems so in all too many instances.

Back