Logo

Mariner 40hp thermo switch

baz67

Hi, looking for some info re the thermo switch/ ovrheat sensor. I have a mid 80s 2 cyl mariner(yamaha) 40hp 2 stroke. There appears to be provision for a sensor to be fitted to this engine. Were sensors ever fitted to this engine and if so did they just measure the temperature of the metal cylinder head as opposed to the cooling water? I have a pink wire under the cover which i imagine this would connect to. Any info gratefully received.

Why do you need a temp sensor? Is engine running hot? Hand can be placed in telltale stream to check temp. of running engine or hand placed on head for six second count also. Are you installing a temp. gauge or a pressure gauge? Might have to drill& tap to install sensor/sender. does control box have an alarm horn built in it?

Hi Johnny, no motor is running fine. It would just be for extra peace of mind and I would only consider it if it were just a case of bolting the sensor on. If it required drilling etc then it would be a no go. As I said I think the pink wire is the overheat alarm plus I have a Yamaha 703 remote which plugged straight in via the 10 pin connector so I would imagine it may be compatible.

Back