Logo

mariner 40 1997

denzle

mariner 40 1997 2 stroke running problem

hi im new at this can anyone tell me whats wrong wi mi engine starts ok ticks over ok with muffs on reves up ok when in water it will rev up and go for it then suddenly drops revs and occasionally stop. previosly it had been laid up for 3 years and started few times a year this year i decieded to go out in it at first when i pumped petrol in to carb it was coming out of carb , stripped carb down and found float stuck cleaned it out and started first tim,e now i have this problem help put new plugs in and fresh petrol

Last edited:
Welcome aboard ! First your on the wrong forum, this is a i/o forum. However i know some about outboards and i might get chided for replying to your inquiry here, but here goes.

Your for sure know the carb is clean ? If yes did you by accident pinch the float when you installed the pin back in that holds the float in the forks ?

That would not allow the float to operate freely.

You cleaned the fuel pump out and the screen is clean? Filter clean ?

What are you using for a fuel tank ? Are you for sure have the vent open ? You maybe creating a vacuum in the tank ?

Your hose it good, describe if you don't mind the set up tank to motor.

hi chiefalen
sorry still dont no what forum i should be on. yes float is ok bought new tank and bulb . pipes ok . and yes i undid vent set up is tank about metre of pipe then hand pump pipe to filter then to carb not changed fuel filter thats the only thing i havent changed the boat is in scotland so need all info i can get . i was thinking if i put muffs on and started engine and reved it up to 3000 rpm i should be able to see if it is getting enough petrol thro filter .and it is auto oil mix what u think

Back