Logo

Mariner 15hp 2stroke 2006 hard to start

Dazza69

My outboard lives in saltwater 100% of the time. It gets used nearly everyday.
The last two weeks it got harder to pull the cord the first few times. Then I heard what sounded like a slight bearing noise. Then noticed the water not flowing properly from the outlet. Smoke coming from below the motor section ie. not a normal thing. Took the plugs out and saw they were wet and brown (normal?). Also there is brown sludge in the combustion chamber.

SYMPTOMS SUMMARY-
Doesn't start
Slight Bearing noise
Water not flowing
Additional smoke
Spark plugs brown and wet
Com. Chamber brown sludge

So before I pull the motor apart has anybody got any ideas to narrow down what it is??

Thanks in advance!

Connect a water hose and muffs to it and pull it with spark plugs out to see if water squirts out. It sounds like saltwater has entered the engine...salt may have destroyed some or all internal parts. Remove the exhaust cover and inspect the engine.

Connect a water hose and muffs to it and pull it with spark plugs out to see if water squirts out. It sounds like saltwater has entered the engine...salt may have destroyed some or all internal parts. Remove the exhaust cover and inspect the engine.

Thanks guyjg. Will put your plan into action and see what happens!

If you are not getting water flow DO check the water pump - impeller/seals/plate, but also consider pulling the entire water tube and having a look.

On the 2006 model it's (pressed) into a rubber grommet on the top end, so it will pull out (it's putting it back that is tedious).

Salt water will burn holes right through the water tube (replaced a couple for that very issue on west coast motors). So the pump may be working fine but most of the water is being blown out the tube before it gets to where it needs to be.

Additionally, you could have significant salt build up in the water channels/water jacket.

Being a 15 horse I would invert the motor - so totally upside down and then I fill her up with plain old White Vinegar (about a buck a gallon at the grocery store) and let it sit for minimally 48 hours.

If you remove the lower unit, which you would have to do to check the water pump, you can pour the vinegar right into the exhaust tube (can clearly see it inside the leg - has about the diameter of a quarter - just keep pouring in the vinegar until it over flows.

It will eat out everything except the rubber seals, gaskets and metal and is waaaaaayyyyyy cheaper than "salt-off" or any of the other commercial concoctions.

If you are not getting water flow DO check the water pump - impeller/seals/plate, but also consider pulling the entire water tube and having a look.

On the 2006 model it's (pressed) into a rubber grommet on the top end, so it will pull out (it's putting it back that is tedious).

Salt water will burn holes right through the water tube (replaced a couple for that very issue on west coast motors). So the pump may be working fine but most of the water is being blown out the tube before it gets to where it needs to be.

Additionally, you could have significant salt build up in the water channels/water jacket.

Being a 15 horse I would invert the motor - so totally upside down and then I fill her up with plain old White Vinegar (about a buck a gallon at the grocery store) and let it sit for minimally 48 hours.

If you remove the lower unit, which you would have to do to check the water pump, you can pour the vinegar right into the exhaust tube (can clearly see it inside the leg - has about the diameter of a quarter - just keep pouring in the vinegar until it over flows.

It will eat out everything except the rubber seals, gaskets and metal and is waaaaaayyyyyy cheaper than "salt-off" or any of the other commercial concoctions.

Thanks galamb. I will definitely do what you suggested.

Hey found out that its the head gasket leaking. Another guy in the marina had the same prob so its fixed but now got crankshaft bearings noise so now i have to split the crankcase and replace them and prob the all the other moving parts??!!

Thanks for all your help.

Oh the vinegar worked well!!

Back